Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Music (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Bauhaus vs. Joy Division (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=26644)

NapalmCow 08-31-2012 01:19 PM

Bauhaus vs. Joy Division

idk why I did this

Versus 09-02-2012 03:45 PM

Joy Division.

Miss Absynthe 09-02-2012 07:56 PM

This surely isn't a real question.

If Bauhaus wins I'm going to kill myself. Or Ian Curtis.

Unless you're talking about Staatliches Bauhaus, in which case I want to change my vote because Joy Division aren't anywhere near as structurally sound.

Hydrodyssodia 09-07-2012 11:28 PM

Logging in only so I can vote for JD.

Class-Punk 09-07-2012 11:49 PM

Neither, there is a Post-punk band I put above Bauhaus, Joy Division, and Christian Death and it is The Sound!

Solumina 09-08-2012 12:55 AM

Joy Division is the better band but I listen to Bauhaus a lot more, I guess because I have sentimental attachments to a few of their songs.

Elystan 09-08-2012 03:59 PM

As much as I fucking love Bauhaus, the Peter Murphy/NiN Joy Division covers are fucking terrible.

Tralis 10-02-2012 02:26 PM

Bauhaus. Joy Division was ground-breaking, but I just simply enjoy more Bauhaus songs. Also, would Joy Division be remembered the way they are now if they actually ended up touring America?

FistsofFury 10-03-2012 10:22 AM

I can't believe Joy Division is winning on THIS forum. Bauhaus had more albums and a way bigger impact. I am not counting New Order I'm looking at strictly Joy Division. Come on.

BourbonBoy 10-03-2012 06:18 PM

Bauhaus. Who better to introduce "The Hunger?"

Miss Absynthe 10-03-2012 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FistsofFury (Post 701623)
I can't believe Joy Division is winning on THIS forum. Bauhaus had more albums and a way bigger impact. I am not counting New Order I'm looking at strictly Joy Division. Come on.

Don't make me come over there.

Renatus 10-03-2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Absynthe (Post 701636)
Don't make me come over there.

If I vote Bauhaus will you come over here?

Miss Absynthe 10-03-2012 07:33 PM

Haha.

Masochist.

BourbonBoy 10-03-2012 07:48 PM

Bauhaus all the way! \m/:)

Renatus 10-03-2012 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Absynthe (Post 701643)
Haha.

Masochist.

We'll see who is the masochist at the end of the day.

Miss Absynthe 10-03-2012 07:59 PM

/starts making a list of arses I'm going to need to beat.

Saya 10-03-2012 08:22 PM

And along came Saya.

BourbonBoy 10-03-2012 08:30 PM

Release the Kraken!

http://youtu.be/l4fAOKdPq78

CuckooTuli 10-05-2012 06:42 AM

What's with the vs.? I DEMAND BOTH.

Saya 10-05-2012 09:17 AM

I have to confess I'm one of those people who like Bela Lugosi's Dead and nothing else by the Bauhaus. I think I listened to more in my gawfic days but nothing else stuck.

Jonathan 10-05-2012 11:16 AM

Ceremony is legitimately a very powerful song. Not too much else by Joy Division ever grabbed me.

Just listened to the Reznor / Murphy cover of Dead Souls and was appalled at how terrible it was. I expect so much more from both of those guys. I ironically think the 1994 cover NIN did for the Crow soundtrack was more interesting than the original. Great at seeding ideas that were better executed under New Order.

Bauhaus - they have their moments. They did a better Ziggy Stardust than Bowie, some of their other songs work but they had a lot of junk.

Both bands are better to think about than actually listen to.

Miss Absynthe 10-05-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathan (Post 701692)
they did a better ziggy stardust than bowie...

I JUST CAN'T EVEN...!srsly

Jonathan 10-05-2012 11:50 PM

Even BOWIE said they did a better Ziggy Stardust than him. Apparently he and Murphy are bros. He also does a sick Space Oddity, but nothing beats the original.

Elystan 10-06-2012 03:01 AM

So I'm the only one here who actually appreciates Joy Division as being totally unparalleled in the subsequent history of popular music?

Miss Absynthe 10-06-2012 03:07 AM

No. This is not the black text you are looking for...

Hydrodyssodia 10-26-2012 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saya (Post 701688)
I have to confess I'm one of those people who like Bela Lugosi's Dead and nothing else by the Bauhaus.

I used to be like this, but lately I've had Mask on repeat endlessly. Some amazing dancy stuff, not that I can dance properly.

Xombie 10-26-2012 10:34 PM

This is super tough, but I have spent a lot more time listening to Bauhaus sooo there's my answer.

Devola Pease 10-27-2012 01:57 PM

I listen to Bauhaus way more than Joy Division, but objectively, I think that the few songs I like of Joy Division's are of way better quality than the Bauhaus songs I enjoy. I'm thinking specifically of Atmosphere and She's Lost Control here- there's a few others I like, too, but I like those two the most.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Class-Punk (Post 700531)
Neither, there is a Post-punk band I put above Bauhaus, Joy Division, and Christian Death and it is The Sound!

Thanks for bringing up The Sound. I instantly fell in love with the hooks.

marrissey 11-01-2012 12:26 AM

I can't honestly decide between the two... Except I've been listening to Bauhaus a lot more than Joy Division lately.

Jon Wane 11-03-2012 02:29 PM

I'm sure this is gonna earn me some haters, but I have to go with Bauhaus. I think JD are terribly overrated.

Their few AMAZING songs don't make up for the abundance of limp, listless, go-nowhere Post-Punk droning that is the majority of their work as far as I'm concerned. Funnily enough, Disorder is one of my all-time favorite songs [EDIT: I'm talking favorite songs ever here].

Seems to me like most other JD material doesn't come close to living up to that one song, though.

Just an FYI: The nails go through the wrists, not the hands.

7BloodyWidow7 05-29-2013 03:54 PM

Absolutely Bauhaus.
I have nothing against JD, I like them very much. But I personally find Bauhaus to have better music and to be more instrumental in the Gothic movement.

Sinjob 11-19-2013 09:29 AM

The way I see it, Bauhaus was really the better band. I honestly can't see how at the time the two bands were linked in anyway aside from the mistaken classification of 'goth' vs. post-punk in the wake of a neurotic German influence. They're extremely different thematically. As far as songwriting goes, Joy Division had a better display of internal human conflict in description and imagery.

However, the limited success of Bauhaus they were much more versatile and abstract musically (including the superior hooks of Daniel Ash to Bernard Summer's considerably minimalist playing as well as Murphy's vocal range in comparison to Ian's strange yet soothing drone) while they weren't as strong symbolically and lacked the poetic genius of Curtis, the Dadaist overtones of their music fills in for material.

Joy Division is good, but a rare kind of good, over the time I've spent listening to them it seems like they weren't meant to last. And I admit, Bauhaus did become quite shitty in the end, but they were far more solid in terms of production (especially their creative control) and artistry.

Despanan 11-19-2013 12:57 PM

Always liked Joy Division better. Bauhaus struck me as a bit less honest, so aside from a few songs, I've had a problem really getting into their work.

November-Coming-Fire 04-05-2015 05:08 PM

Joy Division for creating some of the most haunting sounds this world will ever know. I tend to listen to them a lot more than Bauhaus. However, I do love "In The Flat Field" and wouldn't turn away the albums succeeding it.

BlackBat 09-27-2015 09:00 PM

Jd

I love both of these bands truly, but Joy Division is my favorite band of all time. There is not a JD song that I don't like. I have Ian Curtis' "songbook" So This is Permanence. I can relate to all of his work. He wrote amazing dark material with real raw emotion. The band as a whole were so talented and they really left a huge mark in the couple years that they put out material. I think that says a lot.
And "Disorder".

Molster 09-28-2015 12:47 AM

Bauhaus definitely for me, like Joy Division and have to agree they are ground breaking but I prefer Bauhaus...:)

¡CoMbⒶ✞Er! 09-28-2015 08:34 AM

Joy Division is better. They're a great band. So is Bauhaus, but Joy Division is much better in my opinion. Their music overall is better and their lyrics are more poetic, thanks to Ian Curtis (R.I.P.)

Lurcita 12-25-2015 04:18 PM

I can't choose, i love both, though Peter Murphy is my favorite singer.

Jiangshi 12-26-2015 01:51 PM

RIP Ian Curtis

Joy Division by far.

Bauhaus has some great covers though - for example I much prefer their versions of "Telegram Sam" and "Ziggy Stardust" to the originals. And Peter Murphy is an awesome vocalist.

Videogirl88 02-15-2016 10:51 AM

I vote for Bauhaus.