Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   TV, Movies, & Games (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Coronation Street (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=2066)

Goff 03-13-2006 01:45 AM

Coronation Street

Hello, i'm a student at college in the UK. Im currently doing media coursework, a magazine on goth culture. I am wondering what goths think of the way media portrays goths in the soap "Coronation street". If anyone has an opinon on this i would be grateful for feedback.
Thanks.x

tenet_2012 03-13-2006 01:47 AM

What the fuck is with this guy?

So many stupid people, and so few asteroids.

Goff 03-13-2006 01:54 AM

Thats really rude.. I don't see how it's stupid really. I just wanted some opinons.

Shi'ark 03-13-2006 02:51 AM

I’ve talked to friends of mine about the so called gothic characters on Coronation Street I even forced my self to watched a few episodes which made me laugh.

How Goths are portrayed in the mass media is something I’ve always like talking about. But how many people on this sight do you think have seen Coronation Street?

Not many, you need to come up with a better reference then that.

spookypurple 03-13-2006 06:10 AM

There was one in an episode of The IT Crowd, if you can track it down. It was on a couple of weeks back. Not many people may have seen that either, but...

thetiesonyourcorset 03-13-2006 06:22 AM

I LOVE CORRIE!! I think the way they started doing it was crap...because it was like Rosie just woke up one morning and said: I AM A GOTH NOW!! and that's not the way it works! And It Was Like Craig had to be the same as his gf!

Shi'ark 03-13-2006 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spookypurple
There was one in an episode of The IT Crowd, if you can track it down. It was on a couple of weeks back. Not many people may have seen that either, but...

I’ve seen that, it was funny.

Shi'ark 03-13-2006 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetiesonyourcorset
I LOVE CORRIE!! I think the way they started doing it was crap...because it was like Rosie just woke up one morning and said: I AM A GOTH NOW!! and that's not the way it works! And It Was Like Craig had to be the same as his gf!

Oh so that's what happoned.
The first I heard of it was through a friend who likes Corrie. He thought is was funny that clearly the writers have never met any gothic in their lives.

Love that photo;)

Reject_Bunnies 03-13-2006 07:04 AM

(Oh God,it's another one of THOSE people)

Do I want to be cut open and analyzed?

In a word: NO.
Find yourself another rat to study.

K THNKS BUHBI.

Shi'ark 03-13-2006 07:06 AM

So you’re not a fun of Corrie then R.B?

Wise Child 03-13-2006 07:28 AM

Corrie's shite. Just, utter shite. And WHY IN THE NAME OF FUCK WOULD YOU ASK A SITE FULL OF AMERICAN, AUSTRALIEN, EUROPEAN ETC. MEMBERS WHAT THEY THINK OF A SHOW THAT'S SO SHITE BARELY ANYONE IN ENGLAND WATCHES IT? Try a site that ends in .co.uk. Or, better yet, try www.vampirefreaks.com. I'm sure it's full of narcissistic little fucks who watch bad TV. You know, some of them probably cut too. I have a feeling they'd love to tell you all about it.

Shi'ark 03-13-2006 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wise Child
Corrie's shite. Just, utter shite. And WHY IN THE NAME OF FUCK WOULD YOU ASK A SITE FULL OF AMERICAN, AUSTRALIEN, EUROPEAN ETC. MEMBERS WHAT THEY THINK OF A SHOW THAT'S SO SHITE BARELY ANYONE IN ENGLAND WATCHES IT? Try a site that ends in .co.uk. Or, better yet, try www.vampirefreaks.com. I'm sure it's full of narcissistic little fucks who watch bad TV. You know, some of them probably cut too. I have a feeling they'd love to tell you all about it.

You’re an Eastenders girl the I see then wise child :D.
Personally I can’t stand any of them, well I liked Eastenders but there’s only so many bad cockney assents I could stand after a while.

spookypurple 03-13-2006 08:25 AM

Typical Eastenders episode.

Le's gow dahn ver Vic. Sort it aaaahhhht! Cuppa tea! Fort I cud trust yew...

Dum-dum-duh-duh-duh-dum.

Wise Child 03-13-2006 08:28 AM

'Ere! Woss goin' on?... Oi! Get aht mah pub! Yer barred!

spookypurple 03-13-2006 08:32 AM

Ow now! Nah yew jus' lissen 'ere. Oi won 'ave vat kinda towk. Wot wud yer dear owl' nan afta say? Eh?

Shi'ark 03-13-2006 08:32 AM

Set in east London yet no one can speak a word of cockney slang. What the hell is all that about.

Favorite Frank Bucher quote : “You some kind of a pilchard or some’ing”

spookypurple 03-13-2006 08:34 AM

And have you ever seen any of the actors interviewed? I'm not convinced how many of them are actually having to act, or whether they're just waking up and acting out scenes from their own lives!

Wise Child 03-13-2006 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shi'ark
Set in east London yet no one can speak a word of cockney slang. What the hell is all that about.

Favorite Frank Bucher quote : “You some kind of a pilchard or some’ing”

Yeah, and no one says "bleedin'" properly. They just read it right out. Spot the Mockneys.

spookypurple 03-13-2006 08:36 AM

And have you noticed how everyone lives and works in the same area? And how relationships are just a bunch of musical chairs. Doesn't anybody fancy going out with someone different..?

Woosit all abaht, eh?

Shi'ark 03-13-2006 08:38 AM

Quote:

And have you noticed how everyone lives and works in the same area? And how relationships are just a bunch of musical chairs. Doesn't anybody fancy going out with someone different..?

Woosit all abaht, eh?

That can’t it called Eastend in-breeding

spookypurple 03-13-2006 08:46 AM

Which could of course explain quite a lot of it!

She_Is_My_Sin 03-13-2006 03:18 PM

Quote:

I really <3 that episode, seeing as Richmond is the guy off The Mighty Boosh. As for Corrie I don't like Rosie, but Craig's funny in a 'I'm laughing at you not with you' way.
But seriously Corrie? Doesn't anyone as sad as me recall some goths hanging about in my all time favourite Hollyoaks a few years back?

Empty_Purple_Stars 03-13-2006 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenet_2012
What the fuck is with this guy?

So many stupid people, and so few asteroids.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goff
Thats really rude.. I don't see how it's stupid really. I just wanted some opinons.

Sure it was rude, but it was also FUNNY.

We're not here to be your lab rats, unless you have plenty of Liquid Latex and LOTS of Liquor. ;)

Everyone can simply disregard the first post, and use this thread to discuss Cockney accents and British Soaps, or I can close the thread and call it good.

Either way. You guys choose.

tenet_2012 03-13-2006 05:57 PM

I do not watch "soaps".

If I did, I would not watch British soaps.

*shudders at the thought*

Wise Child 03-14-2006 02:36 AM

British soaps lick ass. They're shite enough to be boring. American soaps, on t'other hand, go waaay beyond that, and are actually shite enough to be entertaining. I could quite happily sit through an episode of Sunset Beach, for example, because it's so much worse than anything we've got that it's absolutely hilarious.