Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Politics (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Property is theft (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=24315)

Despanan 03-17-2011 09:03 AM

Property is theft

All right, I'm convinced.

Alan 03-17-2011 10:17 AM

Finally!
What made you accept this?

Despanan 03-17-2011 01:33 PM

Seeing the actual distribution of wealth in America, vs. what Americans think it is, vs. What they want it to be.

Seriously...WOW. And this is a first-world nation with arguably one of the higher standards of living??

As I've said before, the constitution places checks and balances on political power, we need that same distribution of power when it comes to economic matters, because seriously this seems to quickly be reaching critical mass.

The sheer amount of power which is stored in like, a couple thousand people is un-American, and if it keeps getting worse, it's gonna be bad for everyone.

Because heads are gonna start getting chopped off in my lifetime and after that, well pretty much open-season on crazy.

And I plan to do alot of my living in my lifetime.

Saya 03-17-2011 05:38 PM

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...ater/shock.gif

Corpsey 03-17-2011 06:31 PM

What the hell is that off? I recognize it but not by name.

Saya 03-17-2011 06:35 PM

I don't know, found it on my hard drive when I was looking for the shocked kitty gif.

Ben Lahnger 03-17-2011 08:13 PM

I don't know who it is, but he has the look of Jeff Spicoli from Fast Times At Ridgemont High. So it's probably some B-film rip-off of that flick or a scene from some other movie that parodies the character. Or maybe just some general stoner dude.

Um ... so ... I don't know. But it was fun reading the Spicoli quotes.

Despanan 03-17-2011 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saya (Post 659418)

But Christ is the phrase "property is theft" a stupid way to explain it.

Saya 03-18-2011 10:52 AM

But it leads to my favourite joke!

Why do anarchists drink herbal tea?

Because proper tea is theft!

*gigglesnort*

Despanan 03-18-2011 11:10 AM

When the revolution comes, I will have you shot.

Saya 03-18-2011 11:37 AM

Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Despanan 03-18-2011 11:48 AM

But seriously, it's a fun slogan to shout, but "Property is theft" is such a stupid way to say it. You create a million misconceptions with word-choice alone.

"Property is theft" sounds like you want to start kicking people out of their homes and taking their stuff. It doesn't sound like you want to remove the stranglehold that corporations currently hold on vital industries, it sounds like a flimsy justification for taking people's shit and invading their space.

Lobbing this verbal bomb gets attention but it shoots the lobber in the emotional foot before the argument even begins.

Alan 03-18-2011 12:44 PM

How about "fighting for the common in communism"?

Despanan 03-18-2011 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan (Post 659532)
How about "fighting for the common in communism"?

No, that's actually worse, mainly because thanks to good old Stalin the word "Communism" still has a long way to go before it's no longer a dirty word (at least in America) and it doesn't sound very good in English.

Maybe "Putting the "common" back in communism"

What you need is something with the punch of "Property is theft" but without the improper connotation that "Property" carries.

I dunno, I'm going to try and think of something better...You could say "Industry is theft" but that's wrong..."Private industry is theft" is closer, but clunky...

yeah, you get the idea.

HumanePain 03-18-2011 03:37 PM

Someone has been reading Das Kapital.

Marx didn't have it all figured out, just figured out for his time.
He didn't imagine a capitalist nation prosecuting monopolies for example.

HumanePain 03-18-2011 05:30 PM

Well I didn't say communist. Das Kapital is more of the capitalist death spiral than a communist architecture, although I am talking a little out of my hemorrhoid: I never finished reading it. I really should some day.

Alan 03-18-2011 05:46 PM

I never even started it. Or rather I did but I couldn't have gotten past more than page 40.

Despanan 03-18-2011 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HumanePain (Post 659542)
Someone has been reading Das Kapital.

Marx didn't have it all figured out, just figured out for his time.
He didn't imagine a capitalist nation prosecuting monopolies for example.

Yeah, I've never read a communist book in my life. I assume they are BORING.

Just show me who's head to cut off.

CptSternn 03-19-2011 12:54 AM

I have read it, and it is a good book. I would also recommend The Republic by Plato as many of the themes and ideas Marx is credited with came directly from his studies of Plato.

Ben Lahnger 03-19-2011 06:09 PM

Hey, how about the slogan "possession is nine tenths of the law?"

No, that won't work. Dang!

peterfernandes238 03-20-2011 07:59 PM

Politics

India is a country where there is lack of political will. Everything is dependent on red-tapism and corruption. To weed out the evils which prevent schemes.
=======
Peter

HumanePain 03-20-2011 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterfernandes238 (Post 659948)
India is a country where there is lack of political will. Everything is dependent on red-tapism and corruption. To weed out the evils which prevent schemes.
=======
Peter

If that were true India would still be under British rule.

Ben Lahnger 03-21-2011 08:30 AM

HP, don't feed the troll/simpleton.

PortraitOfSanity 03-21-2011 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Despanan (Post 659677)
Yeah, I've never read a communist book in my life. I assume they are BORING.

Just show me who's head to cut off.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I tried to read the Manifesto in high school and discovered why Marx is known as a whatever you wanna call him, and not an author.