Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Introductions (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   A funny thing happened on the way to g.net (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=26196)

april13 04-23-2012 03:28 PM

A funny thing happened on the way to g.net

When thinking about this introduction I must admit I found myself tempted, as one tends to be, to embellish certain aspects of my life and personality so they would seem as fabulous to you as I perceive them to be.

Funnily enough, I decided not to do that, because I feel I might enjoy this forum a whole lot more and longer if I drop the bull shit online posturing and just try to just shoot the shit with you guys about a bunch of stuff we happen to be interested in.

So, also for your attention span's sake, I will limit my introduction proper to the bare minimum and some shit I'm interested in that we might talk about.

I am not a complete newbie to g.net, having posted semi regularly quite a while back and lurking periodically after that.

I'm in my thirties and work a corporate job I find tolerable. I am broadly interested but Art and (pop)culture interest me most, and enjoying these as much as possible is my life goal. I am an out and proud lesbian but I prefer the term queer. I am a staunch feminist despite being shamefully illiterate in the subject.

I'm nowhere near as well-read as I like to pretend, but at Uni I got to know and love the classics.
Shakespeare (or should I say 'and collaborators') is awesome but I'd say Chaucer is more brilliant, a shame I hardly even looked at those beautiful volumes I bought.
I've enjoyed the odd Gothic Novel but wouldn't list any amongst my favourites except Frankenstein and Carmilla. (one could argue whether they classify as gothic but that's another discussion)
The 19th century is my favourite period, Dickens, Hardy, Bronte (Emily over Charlotte) of course, with the Aesthetes and Decadents as the absolute favourite. Oscar Wilde is my hero!
Although my nickname is T.S. Eliot inspired I am not too knowledgeable from the modern period onwards. I like Barker and thought Atwood's Surfacing was brilliant, I've been meaning to get deeper into her. At the moment I'm thoroughly enjoying A Dance with Dragons.

I'm a total movie buff, I like horror of all eras, Hitchcock, Polanski, Lynch, Kubrick, Tarantino, Burton (though the latter has his ups and downs), and basically anything well-made that's interesting.

TV wise Game of Thrones all the way at the moment, and I'm a big Whedon fan.

I like my music electronic, Industrial/EBM is my favourite genre, but I also like trip hop, alternative and hip hop. Be warned, I've become a HUGE Lady Gaga fan, which I will back up with anecdotes and pseudo science if provoked.

HumanePain 04-23-2012 06:09 PM

Hi April. Nice intro. Welcome.

CuckooTuli 04-24-2012 02:10 AM

Game of Thrones, Whedon, Frankenstein, Kubrick, Lynch, feminism and honesty.... aw shit, nearly everything you mentioned. I definitely like you. Welcome to Gnet! :)

april13 04-24-2012 01:41 PM

Thanks for the welcome guys, good to see g.net's pater familias is still around.

I look forward to some interesting discussions. Methinks we could use a Game of Thrones thread, if only to bemoan the lack of Cersei in the last episode.