Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   General (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Share your views on goth subculture (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=1985)

student 03-04-2006 05:20 AM

Share your views on goth subculture

I'm a third year media student from Lincoln University, England. I'm currently writing my 10,000 word dissertation on the goth subculture, and authenticity within that.

I'm trying to get the views of as many members of this subculture as possible, and i was wondering if any of you would be kind enough to fill in a short questionnaire.

You can make the answers as long or short as you like. I'll post the questions here and you can either leave the answers as a reply to this thread or email them to me at music_slut@************.

Afraid i can't offer anything to you for doing this other than the satifaction at having helped me and the chance to share your views on an under represented subject!

Q1. Would you describe yourself as a Goth?

Q2. Why? What does Goth mean to you?

Q3. How do you like to dress during the day and at night?

Q4. Are you trying to convey a message with the way you dress? If yes, what is it?

Q5. Has your view of what a Goth is changed over the time you’ve been involved in the subculture?

Q6. What sort of music do you listen to and what do you like about it?

Q7. What do you like to do in your spare time?

Q8. How interested are you in art and literature?

Q9. What ideals do you think you share with other Goths, if any?

Q10. Would it bother you if Goth went mainstream and became a fashion trend? Why?

Q11. Is there a difference between younger Goths (12 – 17) and older Goths (18+)? If yes, what is it?

Q12. Which, if either, do you think is more important in your subculture and why: style (what you wear and how you look) or content (what you know and how you feel)?

Hope some of you are interested,

Cheers

Laura

Draconysius 03-04-2006 05:43 AM

Q1. Would you describe yourself as a Goth? Yes, I consider myself a member of the subculture.

Q2. Why? What does Goth mean to you? In my opinion, it is an embrace of darkness. The taboo, unusual, morbid, etc.

Q3. How do you like to dress during the day and at night? During the day, I dress in very casual clothes; all black with maybe a few accessories like jewelry here and there. During the night, I wear what I wear during the day, until I go to bed when I wear a band tee and some night pants.

Q4. Are you trying to convey a message with the way you dress? If yes, what is it? Not really; I just love black.

Q5. Has your view of what a Goth is changed over the time you’ve been involved in the subculture? Yes; so many times it just isn'y funny.

Q6. What sort of music do you listen to and what do you like about it?
I'll listen to just about anything. My favorites, though, are deathrock, darkwave, and stoner, doom, or grunge metal. Why do I like it? I can't say besides it sounds good to me. :p

Q7. What do you like to do in your spare time? I love to read, play games, fuck around the internet, or draw.

Q8. How interested are you in art and literature? VERY interested. I draw just about every day and have written so many stories, poems, and songs it's just ridiculous. I'm even considering a career in art.

Q9. What ideals do you think you share with other Goths, if any? Mainly, the need to express myself, and go my own way.

Q10. Would it bother you if Goth went mainstream and became a fashion trend? Why? Yes; I hate poseurs. This would mean a lot more.

Q11. Is there a difference between younger Goths (12 – 17) and older Goths (18+)? If yes, what is it? The elder goths who have been in the subculture longer are usually more experienced and wise.

Q12. Which, if either, do you think is more important in your subculture and why: style (what you wear and how you look) or content (what you know and how you feel)? Content, indefinitely.

Tall One In Black 03-04-2006 08:03 AM

Q2. What does Goth mean to you?

To me, Goth means being someone's research project every two weeks.

Reject_Bunnies 03-04-2006 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tall One In Black
Q2. What does Goth mean to you?

To me, Goth means being someone's research project every two weeks.

You can't really argue with that one ;)

student 03-04-2006 08:49 AM

Sorry i'm not meaning to offend you in any way. i understand you probably get a lot of people trying ask you questions, but thats because from what i've seen and read, goth is very interlinked to the internet. There are so many sites dedicated to goth culture that it provides a simple way to access a lot of people who might be willing to help. I'm not asking you to give me a 2000 word essay on 'what is goth', i'm just looking for a little insight from the horse's mouth so to speak. If you don't want to do it then i understand and have no problem with that, but in that case just ignore the thread, there isn't any need to be funny about it.

student 03-04-2006 08:50 AM

And thank you to draconysius for replying :)

maggot 03-04-2006 09:05 AM

Hey, Student.
http://www.fehq.org/public/whatgoth.htm seems to have a pretty good article on what goth is..

But heres my main view of goth: I feel that it's to see the beauty where others see none, to be yourself.. To not care what others think.

Godslayer Jillian 03-04-2006 09:14 AM

Ok, first of all, there are a couple of other threads like this. I think they will help you. Second; this site http://blood-dance.net/goth/grant.html gives avery good definition of us, I think. But, anyway, I'll answer to yourr questions seriously.

Q1. Would you describe yourself as a Goth? I would describe myself as a goth, but I don't like saying it, because it sounds "hey, look at me, I'm goth, so I'm better than you"

Q2. Why? What does Goth mean to you? goth is a subculture centered in literature and, well, culture. Anyone with imagination and intelligence (and an open mind) can be one

Q3. How do you like to dress during the day and at night? I dress the same in both times. I tend to overdress

Q4. Are you trying to convey a message with the way you dress? If yes, what is it? I just like individualism, so I don't like a simple Tshirt and some pants

Q5. Has your view of what a Goth is changed over the time you’ve been involved in the subculture? once. I never met a "goth" which was worth talking to because they didn't know anything about politics, and one even though the Anarchy sign meant "Antichrist" so I got dissapointed and began to be my own style: the "Yin". It was not until I joined here that I found real literate gothics.

Q6. What sort of music do you listen to and what do you like about it? I like gothic music, mainly because it's very light, but pretty. I love Lacrimosa because it almost looks like an orchestra. I also love Bretchian Punk Cabaret (you know who am I talking about:D) and classical music of course (it's so profound). Last, but not least, I love improvised jazz.

Q7. What do you like to do in your spare time? I do what I want to do or what I find to do

Q8. How interested are you in art and literature? Literature is the only form of art I can reach, but what I write is obvviously far from being art. And what do I think about art? A life not dedicated to Love, must be dedicated to Art, or is just a wasted life

Q9. What ideals do you think you share with other Goths, if any? just be the most cultured you can. And if someone thinks Greenday is gothic, you're in the wrong site

Q10. Would it bother you if Goth went mainstream and became a fashion trend? Why? Most definitely!!! If gothdom becomes mainstream, that means everyone will only be interested in the style. The essence of Goth itself cannot be mainstream because that would mean the world would finally be filled with smart, creative people.

Q11. Is there a difference between younger Goths (12 – 17) and older Goths (18+)? If yes, what is it? Probably only the tastes. Besides that, there are always the same differences between old people nd young people.

Q12. Which, if either, do you think is more important in your subculture and why: style (what you wear and how you look) or content (what you know and how you feel)?
Content. We may have a recognizable taste for the black and the Victorian, but style has nothing to do with being goth

tekajo 03-04-2006 09:35 AM

check this page out: Goth With a Sledgehammer.

i was going to do the questions but then noticed that i was listening to Conway Twitty and realised that i was not goth enough to be representing this subculture in yet another school project. ;)

Tall One In Black 03-04-2006 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by student
Sorry i'm not meaning to offend you in any way. i understand you probably get a lot of people trying ask you questions, but thats because from what i've seen and read, goth is very interlinked to the internet. There are so many sites dedicated to goth culture that it provides a simple way to access a lot of people who might be willing to help. I'm not asking you to give me a 2000 word essay on 'what is goth', i'm just looking for a little insight from the horse's mouth so to speak. If you don't want to do it then i understand and have no problem with that, but in that case just ignore the thread, there isn't any need to be funny about it.

I'm not offended. And I'll be "funny" if I want, whether you think there's a need for it or not. When you post a question on a public forum, you take what you get for answers.

You're right, there are MANY sites dedicated to goth culture. You can do a lot of your research on those sites - and I don't mean posting surveys. I mean reading the information that is readily available.

Here's the thing about online communities, gothic or otherwise: you get more cooperation if you're an accepted member of the community. An outsider who comes in for no purpose other than research is going to irritate a lot of people.

We didn't get together on this board so we'd be conveniently grouped for outsiders to conduct surveys on us. We're an online community, a group of friends, not a focus group to be used by researchers at their whim.

If you had searched the board before you posted, you would have discovered that other people have done the same thing as you... ad nauseum.

If you're writing a 10,000 word dissertation, you must have some interest in the gothic community. You will have better luck if you try to become part of the community instead of poking at us from the outside like we're some kind of freakish lab rats.

What I've written may seem to have an angry tone, but I am not angry. My tone is meant to be pedagogical. I work in online communications; one of the things my group specializes in is online community-building. In short, I know what I'm talking about.

You'll have a few people answer your questions. You'll have a lot more who are irritated - some of those will ignore you, and some will flame you.

Godslayer Jillian 03-04-2006 09:52 AM

Yes. Don't just observe us; come live in our community. We'll teach you the ways of the jungle:D

maggot 03-04-2006 09:55 AM

Not to mention your mind will be horribly disfigured and scarred for life.

Draconysius 03-04-2006 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tekajo
check this page out: Goth With a Sledgehammer.

i was going to do the questions but then noticed that i was listening to Conway Twitty and realised that i was not goth enough to be representing this subculture in yet another school project. ;)

Hey, that's no problem, man! I find myself listening to Hank Williams sometimes. I got turned onto classic country from GTA: San Andreas K Rose radio. I even found 80's pop enjoyable thanks to Vice City. :")

student 03-04-2006 12:27 PM

Thank you to everyone who's contributed so far. I've seen a lot of sites describing what goth is already but some of the ones you've given me are new so i'll check them out for a better insight.

I do understand that it would be easier if i was a goth to integrate and to be accepted, but i'm not so its more difficult. But it does give me an outsider's perspective without a chance of bias. I knew nothing about the culture before so have no preconceptions. And regarding 'Tall One In Black's reply, i have read information readily available. I've studied books, fanzines, websites, i've been to goth nights, i've talked to goths both online and in person - this isn't my only research. This is just extra. I thought it would be an interesting dimension to not just talk to goths from my own country but to expand it worldwide if they are willing.

And i know i can find the answers on the site already, i've found searching past forum threads a great way to improve my research but i have to do primary research too where i ask the questions and people answer my specific questions. So honest i'm not a retard! mostly...

Wise Child 03-04-2006 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xnguela
[b]1) Yes. We are all compulsive liars and flakes that need makeovers and want to date spineless jocks.

Judd shoulda smacked him down like the bitch he is. Whiney little schmuck.

student 03-04-2006 01:54 PM

Lol at least my questionnaire isn't quite that insulting...well i hope.

'do you purposely try and look like freaks?' - thats just asking for trouble

maggot 03-04-2006 04:34 PM

I've been here just half a week, and I've already seen multiple surveys.

Why us the world obsessing about goths recently? Especially the media?

Reject_Bunnies 03-04-2006 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maggot
Why us the world obsessing about goths recently? Especially the media?

The interest dips for awhile then picks back up.I feel the biggest blow to Gothdom(In a bad way) was the fallout from the Columbine shootings;talk about bad publicity! I still hear references to that event and Goth in the same sentence.

maggot 03-04-2006 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reject_Bunnies
The interest dips for awhile then picks back up.I feel the biggest blow to Gothdom(In a bad way) was the fallout from the Columbine shootings;talk about bad publicity! I still hear references to that event and Goth in the same sentence.

Well it was caused by Maralyn Manson, and as it says in the holy Goth Scriptures; And the Dark Lord saith "Thou shalt listeneth the my son, Maralyn Manson."

:D