Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Spooky News (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   J.D. Salinger Died (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=19514)

Crying_Crimson_Tears 01-28-2010 12:47 PM

J.D. Salinger Died

http://news.**********/s/ap/us_obit_salinger

NEW YORK – J.D. Salinger, the legendary author, youth hero and fugitive from fame whose "The Catcher in the Rye" shocked and inspired a world he increasingly shunned, has died. He was 91.

Salinger died of natural causes at his home on Wednesday, the author's son said in a statement from Salinger's longtime literary representative, Harold Ober Agency. He had lived for decades in self-imposed isolation in the small, remote house in Cornish, N.H.

Nocturnal Logic 01-28-2010 01:03 PM

I'm gonna go cry now. :/

Edit: Salinger had a brilliant mind, although he had quite the anti-social tendency at times. Nonetheless, he will be missed.

R.I.P.

sibyl vane. 01-28-2010 01:51 PM

RIP. Hope he was happy.

Despanan 01-28-2010 02:09 PM

Man, I remember when I first read "Catcher in the Rye" back in boarding school. I'll tell ya, that book really highlighted how different I was from everyone else. I loved the book, but everyone else in my class said it was "stupid" and talked about how much more they liked Holden's roommate as opposed to Holden himself.

Guy will be missed.

Still Jack 01-28-2010 03:24 PM

Fuck. First I find out about Zinn and now Salinger. Seriously, do shitty deaths always travel in pairs?

PortraitOfSanity 01-28-2010 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still Jack (Post 597713)
Fuck. First I find out about Zinn and now Salinger. Seriously, do shitty deaths always travel in pairs?

These were my thoughts exactly.

Ben Lahnger 01-28-2010 03:42 PM

Bad news comes in three's is what they always say.

This is a very sad passing. He will be appreciated long beyond the span of a man's life.

Saya 01-28-2010 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Despanan (Post 597701)
Man, I remember when I first read "Catcher in the Rye" back in boarding school. I'll tell ya, that book really highlighted how different I was from everyone else. I loved the book, but everyone else in my class said it was "stupid" and talked about how much more they liked Holden's roommate as opposed to Holden himself.

Guy will be missed.

Seriously? I know two people who didn't like it and one of them only hates it because she had to read it again in university which sucked all the fun out for her. Other than that it reunited everyone in my class, it was the one book we all liked.

Man In Room 5 01-28-2010 07:14 PM

So has anyone heard if he was busy writing in recent years? Supposedly he quit writing when he quit publishing but it's been suspected that he was still writing secretly with a plan to come out of retirement at some point.

Ben Lahnger 01-28-2010 07:24 PM

Since he wasn't talking to anyone, his representatives haven't said anything like that, and his family just indicated that there will not be a memorial service in keeping with his wishes for complete privacy, I think it unlikely.

gothicusmaximus 01-28-2010 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Man In Room 5 (Post 597737)
So has anyone heard if he was busy writing in recent years? Supposedly he quit writing when he quit publishing but it's been suspected that he was still writing secretly with a plan to come out of retirement at some point.

I seem to recall him saying, on multiple occasions, that he continued to write for his own pleasure, and even that he'd completed a novel. NEW BOOK, SCORE!

Despanan 01-28-2010 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saya (Post 597734)
Seriously? I know two people who didn't like it and one of them only hates it because she had to read it again in university which sucked all the fun out for her. Other than that it reunited everyone in my class, it was the one book we all liked.

Believe it. I went to a ridiculously posh all-boys private boarding school filled with rich as hell blueblood assholes.

Those guys couldn't identify with anything that didn't have a trust-fund and wasn't from North Carolina.

Saya 01-28-2010 09:30 PM

I just can't believe it, dude. Thats like someone saying they hate toast.

They were obviously phonies.

All Shall Be Judged 01-29-2010 03:39 AM

Await the inevitable film... and hopefully the remainder of his unpublished writings.

Eh, could do worse.

Lochnar 01-29-2010 04:23 AM

Sadly that's a book I have yet to get around to. My schools were too poor to have things like books and, at university, I studied computer science and philosophy so I never had to read it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Despanan (Post 597746)
Those guys couldn't identify with anything that didn't have a trust-fund and wasn't from North Carolina.

North Carolina? No real blue bloods left in NC, it's all trashy new money regardless of what they may say. Just a bunch of sanctimonious bastards.

DRM 01-29-2010 12:11 PM

Awh no.
: (
He was a great writer.

Ben Lahnger 02-02-2010 01:39 PM

The blog post linked below says Heinlein's "Stranger in a Strange Land" is to sci-fi what Salinger's "Catcher in the Rye" is to literature. Does anyone else who has read both agree?

http://io9.com/5460352/stranger-in-a...yline=true&s=i