Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Shill (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Words you can't stand people using! (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=15250)

xxDemonSlayerxx 04-28-2009 09:45 AM

Words you can't stand people using!

I don't know if someone else has done this thread yet or not if they haven't then yay for me if so then im sorry but anyways you can pretty much say as many words as you like that other people use that drives you crazy. Personally I can't stand it when people use the following words

*OMG

I mean theres'a few more that I know but can't think of oh and cussing. why do people do that it doesn't make you look cool especially if you still in high school because you have these guys who think their all that and it seems as though they're just trying to get attention adn if I have offended anyone Im sorry..

Pineapple_Juice 04-28-2009 10:11 AM

I hate when people say "would of".
Or "random". When I was in high school, people would use the word random in place of "cool". Everything was "random". I wanted to bust everyone in the face whenever they used that word.
"Tight", as in cool.

When people call their friends "fool".

RozzVanian 04-28-2009 02:10 PM

I also hate random.
I hate "Synergy".
I hate the term "green" being used by people to describe environment-friendly items.
I dislike the term "chocoholic" and "shopohilic"...There's no such thing as Shopohol or Chocohol. It makes no sense.

StarredLeaf 04-28-2009 05:40 PM

I hate the word "poseur" even though most people rarely say that anymore unless they're stuck in the 90s. But once I hear someone say it, I just roll my eyes.

Underwater Ophelia 04-28-2009 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RozzVanian (Post 534421)
I also hate random.
I hate "Synergy".
I hate the term "green" being used by people to describe environment-friendly items.
I dislike the term "chocoholic" and "shopohilic"...There's no such thing as Shopohol or Chocohol. It makes no sense.

There is, however, such a thing as a "play on words."
I'm not surprised you're unfamiliar with it.

RozzVanian 04-28-2009 06:45 PM

I'm surprised you haven't given up insulting me for obligatory reasons. *Ignore*.

sibyl vane. 01-03-2010 08:09 PM

"Amazing", because people use it excessively and hyperbolically and it drives me nuts.

Still Jack 01-03-2010 11:55 PM

I dislike it when people say "safe".

Jaye Jang 01-04-2010 01:30 AM

"Challenged", "Issues", "More 'bang for the buck'." Currently hate those phrases. The hospital I USED to work at used those phrases frequently. For example the 600-pound female in my office who was not 'morbidly obese', but 'bariatrically challenged'. I was not short, I was 'vertically challenged.' I guess, since I typed for a living I was typographically challenged, since we then got into the domain of 'issues.' According to my boss, we were never typing too fast or too slow, we were having 'productivity issues.'. As to the last one, I would have preferred to be told I was being replaced by two part-time trainees for less pay/benefits, than that the two people I trained (and subsequently discovered were replacing me), were replacing me because the hospital could get "more 'bang' for the buck." (Lovely way of saying your job is 'toast', however).

ape descendant 01-06-2010 05:56 AM

"paradigm" and other stupid buzzwords that people use without looking up the meaning first, religious, corporate or otherwise.

Apathy's_Child 01-18-2010 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ape descendant (Post 592474)
"paradigm" and other stupid buzzwords that people use without looking up the meaning first, religious, corporate or otherwise.

Paradigm is a great word. Hate the sinner, dude.

Noumi 01-18-2010 03:23 AM

I hate when people say: "Don't be condescended with me" , so I hate the word condescended. >_<

Wintermute 01-18-2010 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxDemonSlayerxx (Post 534382)
... oh and cussing. why do people do that it doesn't make you look cool especially if you still in high school because you have these guys who think their all that and it seems as though they're just trying to get attention adn if I have offended anyone Im sorry..

No offense taken, but, to quote one of my favorite comedians, Lewis Black, "Where I come from 'fuck' isn't even a word, it's a comma."

I love swearing. It's very cathartic. I'm also catholic, so that's probably why.

I really hate when people use 'dude' to indicate they are about to make a statement of moderate importance to them.

Anarasha 01-20-2010 02:22 PM

This is danish:
Du skal ikke være bekymret.
They mean:
You don't have to be worried.(roughly and more or less directly translated to give the impression. I don't know if you would ever say this in english, because for reasons specified below, I never would.)

Well thank you! Here I went around and thought that I HAD to be worried! Oh, thank you for telling me that, now I can flip a magic switch of knowledge because I don't have to be worried!
Bugger off! -.-" I know bloody well that I don't have to be worried going by the statistics, but I bloody well still am, now don't come here and play Obvious Troll with me -.-"

KissMeDeadly 01-20-2010 03:07 PM

"Ironic", it's great if you actually use it to describe an ironic situation, but your fake-faded Mountain Dew t-shirt is not "ironic", it's just ugly.

I also hate the use of 'gay' to describe things that are stupid/negative. I know not many people really do it anymore, but it still kind of irks me.

"Dude that table is totally gay lawl lets go drink some mouth wash"

Also I hate it when people call things by the wrong brand name. Either call it the generic name, or it's proper brand name. For example, Coke = Cola, Coke =/= Pepsi

I don't see why it's so hard to understand. Maybe it's just in the south or something, but when you go to a restaurant they ask you what kind of Coke you want. This can range from ice water to beer. If you drink it, it's coke.

JethroAranas 01-20-2010 05:17 PM

i hate all words paris hilton and other blonde cheerleaders talk. it's annoying. It's cracking my skull and its just very....ughhhhh!. !

But i like them though. pretty b.....s

KissMeDeadly 01-20-2010 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JethroAranas (Post 594865)

pretty b.....s

I understood everything you just said up until this point. Are you trying to say "Pretty bullshit" or, "Pretty but.... shit" or, "Brain..... surgery", or what?

Cosmicgaunt 01-21-2010 01:00 AM

Anything that has to do with making politically correct statements.

SiouxsiePernova 01-21-2010 01:47 AM

I cringe when people say "youse" instead of "you".

Wintermute 01-21-2010 03:41 AM

I hate it when people refer to the Southern states as 'The South'.

It shall be henceforth referred as 'Superhell', a much more appropriate and affiliated title.

MissCheyenne 01-21-2010 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SiouxsiePernova (Post 594932)
I cringe when people say "youse" instead of "you".

People also do this constantly where I live and it annoys the hell out of me.

PortraitOfSanity 01-21-2010 06:15 AM

That's an Italian thing here. "Yous guys get in the car damnit!"

Tam Li Hua 01-21-2010 06:59 AM

I also hate the word "poseur". It's waaay too overused for things that are incredibly subjective. [I. E., subcultures]

I had a friend once who couldn't stand the word "flesh". It just really bothered her for some reason.

Crying_Crimson_Tears 01-21-2010 09:46 AM

I hate it when people use the word 'like' when they're not using it to describe something or use it as "I like pie."

Example: "She was so like not cool with him like kissing another girl. Like I wouldn't have cared. He is like, so hot."