Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Music (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Band Help (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=15385)

Felreaper 05-20-2009 02:55 PM

Band Help

My friend and I recently began jamming together, and his brother and friend will be joining us. We're toying with the idea of starting a band, but we're not sure where we want to take it... any help?

Duane 05-20-2009 03:31 PM

If you want to take it anywhere, you have to consider every detail. You have to think this out, weigh the pros and cons, ask yourself if you want to work hard enough to even to take the first few steps on the road of musicians. Are you and your friends willing to accept the very slim chances of making it as musicians?

Felreaper 05-20-2009 03:34 PM

we don't really expect to get anywhere, this is just something we want to get into to play a few smaller venues locally and have fun, nothing serious. Keep in mind, I'm 14 and he's 15, his brother and friend are both 17.

Sinjob 05-20-2009 03:38 PM

Well, from expirence I can say keep your eyes open when it comes to venues and stuff. Even getting a gig at a cafe or old record store would be good. My advice for right now would to be just meet-up and keep jamming to work out any musical differences. Personally I'm still trying to get shit together with my band.

Good luck!

Felreaper 05-20-2009 03:43 PM

We don't know what genre we want to pursue, we've been looking at some punk sounds, but we always end up sounding more metal than we want to, so we might as well go down that path...

Catch 05-20-2009 03:44 PM

Just start playing and see what happens. Sometimes not totally agressing on everything makes a band great. Red Hot Chilli Peppers and mainly Flee and Anthony. Flee plays the slap bass, yet they are skate punk. It adds something to their sound.

Duane 05-20-2009 03:45 PM

Ah, why didn't you say so. Well, first comes practice, learn a few songs, perfect your act. Then, you host a show at a friends garage AFTER you perfect your act, inviting other bands to play at the show might be good as well. After a few shows, try to get a gig at a maybe a restraunt, or anywhere you can get one. After a while, you'll probably want to throw in some original tunes to spice things up.

Felreaper 05-20-2009 03:51 PM

So... cover songs at first?

Duane 05-20-2009 03:53 PM

Yes, cover songs, then when you're all nice and set write your own tunes.

Felreaper 05-20-2009 03:55 PM

Sounds good! We've already made Nirvana sound GOOD! We got the tabs for in Bloom, tuned them down, added more distortion and ripped it up, I added angry punk vocals and VOILA! Insta-kick ass!

PortraitOfSanity 05-20-2009 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catch (Post 540614)
Red Hot Chilli Peppers and mainly Flee and Anthony. Flee plays the slap bass, yet they are skate punk.

Uh... no they're not?

And it's not like slap bass is genre specific.

Duane 05-20-2009 05:03 PM

They're Funk Rock, far as I know.

Slap Bass can be used in any genre from Blues to Jazz, Rock to Country.

Malice In Wonderland 05-21-2009 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catch (Post 540614)
just start playing and see what happens. Sometimes not totally agressing on everything makes a band great. Red hot chilli peppers and mainly flee and anthony. Flee plays the slap bass, yet they are skate punk. It adds something to their sound.

Hey everyone!
Catch fails at music too!

Funk rock.
Psychedelic punk if it's their early stuff.

But Skate Punk?
Fuck off.

Haunted House 05-21-2009 10:46 AM

To the OP: Play a kind of music that doesn't suck.

Problem solved.

Sinjob 05-21-2009 04:23 PM

Damn.
I wouldn't even attempt to pigeon-hole or classify the Chilli Peppers at this point in their game.

Catch 05-22-2009 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Felreaper (Post 540617)

Don't cover songs... at least not all the time. It is a good way to warm up, there are already too many cover bands in the world.

Duane 05-22-2009 07:32 PM

Ignore Catch.

maggot 05-22-2009 09:31 PM

ALWAYS ignore Catch.

Solumina 05-22-2009 09:49 PM

This is true, it is far easier to get gigs if people are going to know the songs that you are playing. As things progress enter battle of the bands type things and play your own stuff and when you do get gigs add an original song or two, if people like your stuff then think about putting together an original set list.

Another bit of advice is to take advantage of non-paying gigs like open mike nights to get your name out there.

NightmareInShiningArmour 05-23-2009 02:13 AM

Catch should be a valued member of the Gothic.net community. She's basically the worst poster on here and is pretty much a giant 'WHAT NOT TO DO' sign. Listen to Catch and take none of her advice.

MOUSEBLOOD 05-23-2009 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Felreaper (Post 540617)

I don't know who CATCH is, but I would agree on not doing cover songs. Depending on the venue it could be a help or a hindrance, a lot of venues won't even allow you to play cover songs and for what you and your friends are trying to do it's probably not necessary.

The best route is to just play together for awhile a come up with a set of originals, let the stuff happen naturally. Bands that try too hard to fit into a specific genre always end up sounding contrived and totally unoriginal. Just have fun with it. If you want to make it into a "job" down the road you always can, but early on I'd just start out having fun.

NightmareInShiningArmour 05-23-2009 06:57 PM

The way I always intended a band to be was cover songs at first just to get used to playing with each other, this isn't a live thing, just at practice. Start writing your own material after and work in some songs, practice till you get them good and so on.
However, when I got my friend over for a jam one day, he had been playing guitar for quite some time and had come up with a few songs. I just played along on drums and fairly soon we had a song going.
So, I conclude that unless you guys want to come to practice with some original material, play covers. It's really up to the members themselves, there's no right or wrong way to form a band. There probably is but eh.

ZyklonB 05-23-2009 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOUSEBLOOD (Post 541060)
I don't know who CATCH is, but I would agree on not doing cover songs. Depending on the venue it could be a help or a hindrance, a lot of venues won't even allow you to play cover songs and for what you and your friends are trying to do it's probably not necessary.

The best route is to just play together for awhile a come up with a set of originals, let the stuff happen naturally. Bands that try too hard to fit into a specific genre always end up sounding contrived and totally unoriginal. Just have fun with it. If you want to make it into a "job" down the road you always can, but early on I'd just start out having fun.

Listen to this guy. He's Legit. Unlike catch.

Haunted House 05-24-2009 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZyklonB (Post 541080)
Listen to this guy. He's Legit. Unlike catch.

Thats cause he was in Theatre of Ice. Which rules.

SiouxsiePernova 05-24-2009 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haunted House (Post 541107)
Thats cause he was in Theatre of Ice. Which rules.

It does indeed!