Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Whining (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   recommend (good) gay themed films with positive endings (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=5500)

Vako 04-09-2007 10:45 PM

recommend (good) gay themed films with positive endings

I'm dissatisfied with the fact that alot of gay themed films I have seen have tragic, sad, or negative endings. One or both of the partners gets assaulted, murdered, or dies of a disease. I realize those things happen frequently in real life, but for once it would be a pleasure to see a gay themed film with a happy or positive outcome.

Here is a thread where you can recommend (good) "gay" movies.

Karnage 04-10-2007 12:00 AM

Adam and Steve is what id call a "feel good" gay themed movie. Lower budget, some political bull, but if you can get by that and get into it, its a good flick to lose yourself in.

Lurcita 04-10-2007 12:09 AM

velvet goldmine has a happyish ending i think

MollyMac 04-10-2007 05:12 AM

Claire of the Moon, the Birdcage, But I'm a Cheerleader?

Vyvian Blackthorne 04-10-2007 05:45 AM

Check out something by Derek Jarman...

wait, nevermind, he's utterly gloomy with his films.

then we go to....'Salo: The 120 days of Sodom'-no...wait...

Gypsy 83's my final answer-but it's not enitrely a gay film. More of a GG film. I tell you later what it means if anyone shows interest.

CLV 04-10-2007 05:46 AM

Thats a good point Vako, theres not a lot of them about is there?
And they always seem to be trying to make a point across.
i predict that in the future the term 'gay film' wont even exist, they'll all just be merged in there with the rest.
I also predict that the terms he/she will be abolished and we will have a new language that will have more terms than just male/female for pigeonholing gender. It will also be illegal to ask for gender details on a job application form.
Obviously names will have to be non gender specific for this to work.
Rant over.

Dancing_in_rain 04-10-2007 06:07 AM

There's a Quebecois movie called C.R.A.Z.Y. about a gay boy living in the 70s and his struggle. His dad's very homophobic, like most quebecois of the time. I love the film and it has a positive-ish ending.

the-broken-harlequin 04-10-2007 06:46 AM

Hmmm gay films with tragic endings, sounds like a a sublimal message to me.

DarkHeartedDemoness 04-10-2007 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the-broken-harlequin
Hmmm gay films with tragic endings, sounds like a a sublimal message to me.

Aren't you the guy that just said homophobia was wrong?

So now, not only are you immature and annoying, but you're a hypocrite AND a homophobe? I must say, I'm impressed. I keep expecting you to say something that digs your hole a little deeper, and you never disappoint.

CLV 04-10-2007 08:21 AM

I thought he was just commenting, I didn't take it that it was his opinion.

DarkHeartedDemoness 04-10-2007 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLV
I thought he was just commenting, I didn't take it that it was his opinion.

Maybe I'm just crabby. That's always a possibility.

MollyMac 04-10-2007 05:05 PM

Seriously, most of the gay themed films I know of end poorly. Save when there is just a gay character who has no romantic life and is comedic relief only.

What a crock of shit.

WAIT!!!!!

"Show me Love" is a Norwegian tale of two girls in highschool that ends HAPPILY!!!!!

Vako 04-10-2007 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vyvian Blackthorne
Check out something by Derek Jarman...

wait, nevermind, he's utterly gloomy with his films.

then we go to....'Salo: The 120 days of Sodom'-no...wait...

Gypsy 83's my final answer-but it's not enitrely a gay film. More of a GG film. I tell you later what it means if anyone shows interest.

I know you were being sarcastic, but as a political / horror film, Salo was great. I've got the white-ring Criterion version in my collection.

As for Gypsy 83, well, what does it mean?

Vyvian Blackthorne 04-10-2007 08:16 PM

It was a film about two goths, one was gay and there is a sex scene. Both gays and goths are positively portrayed. Also, are you, by any chance homosexual, Vako? I ask this in all do respect.

Vyvian Blackthorne 04-10-2007 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkHeartedDemoness
Aren't you the guy that just said homophobia was wrong?

So now, not only are you immature and annoying, but you're a hypocrite AND a homophobe? I must say, I'm impressed. I keep expecting you to say something that digs your hole a little deeper, and you never disappoint.

We're all hypocrites

Vako 04-10-2007 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vyvian Blackthorne
It was a film about two goths, one was gay and there is a sex scene. Both gays and goths are positively portrayed. Also, are you, by any chance homosexual, Vako? I ask this in all do respect.

Yes I'm a gay.

I just looked up the Gypsy 83. Looks interesting.

Vyvian Blackthorne 04-10-2007 09:50 PM

Ah, I see...this is why you post many boards on the topic. I was just curious. I'm bisexual as far as I'm concerned, but if I actually am gay I believe in no such word.
Yes, Gypsy is good. It justifies the goth subculture, FINALLY a film does, and saying this as a gothic avant garde filmmaker myself.

Vako 04-10-2007 10:00 PM

I don't really like the word "gay" to describe myself either, but it's what people know, so I guess I use it for the sake of ease of communication. Homosexual is a bit better.

the-broken-harlequin 04-11-2007 09:46 AM

I am not a homophobe, I respect peoples sexual interest but I was just trying to create a little humor and have no idea how your brain could have interpreted that as homophobic. I am a chav-ophobe

Mir 04-11-2007 04:14 PM

You're right, I can only recall "Philadelphia" off the top of my head and it did have a tragic ending. It was a great movie though.

Vyvian Blackthorne 04-11-2007 04:33 PM

"Fellini Satyricon" is tragic and depressing, but I'd still reccomend it. I also like the '120 DAYS OF SODOM' as well/ Like Salo, Satyricon is political-esque, though a major theme is homosexuality.

KontanKarite 04-12-2007 11:32 AM

Ooh, I hate that I missed this thread. "Another Gay Movie" isn't bad. It's a homosexual take on "American Pie". If you can get past the somewhat offensive comedy, it does go into subtle detail about coming out and coming to terms with your orientation. Gypsy 83 sounds like a damn fine film. Velvet Goldmine is also a good one.

KontanKarite 04-12-2007 11:39 AM

Okay, I have just GOT to see Gypsy 83. Thank you, Vyvy, you are the man!

Tell me, how did you find this gem of a movie?

Vyvian Blackthorne 04-12-2007 03:15 PM

I looked under the wikipedia article on goths to see if we're accused of any Terriost conspiracy bombing acts-apparently it's okay other than the controversy section--but I FOUND the film's name back when they had a section of goth interest films in the article-Gypsy was second. I was s00000 tired of seeing our subculture depicted like a mental illness, so I was really appealed toward it generally.

You can see the first five minutes and trailer on Youtube.

KontanKarite 04-12-2007 09:28 PM

I just watched Gypsy 83. I must say, I was moved. I must have cried at least 4 or 5 times. I'm such a cry baby. And Clive Webb... my my.