Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   General (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Wicca intolerance on Gothic.net (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=14087)

Maxim_Macabre 01-04-2009 04:50 PM

Wicca intolerance on Gothic.net

Okay, for the past few months I've really been noticing an undercurrent of anti-wiccanism on this site.

Originally I thought it was simply because we have some ardent Atheists, and a couple of very outspoken radical leftists, (Utah is a popular target for those who are against Bush and the "war on terror") but I'm starting to think this may run deeper than socio-political posturing.

For those of you who know me, I'm very liberal. I am all for free speech and extremely opposed to censorship. It's also pretty difficult to offend me, so when I tell you that I am honestly disturbed by some of the stuff which has been linked here, I want you to understand my full meaning.

Now I'm not sure what, if anything, should actually be done about it (at least at this point) I just really don't want to see these forums become a haven for hate-speech like Dev.iant.art. I'm sure the site owners agree with me, since they go through so much trouble to censor words referring to groups like the K.K.K. (a practice which I have criticized in the past, and no doubt will continue to criticize).

I'm not saying we can't talk about the political policies of Borders book stores, and I'm certainly not saying we can't criticize a religion. I'm just saying, is this really the direction we want to take as a web-community?

Breathless Horror 01-04-2009 05:10 PM

I hate to be the one to burst your idealistic bubble, but I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Starting roughly 6-8 months ago, this site took a huge nose-dive in quality. Trolls, ass-holes, and idiots flooded the forums. Angry and bitter over the corruption of what used to be a great place, the older members retaliated with flames verging on brutality, and taking it too far seems to be the order of the day. I'd say about 95% of the posts and threads here are hateful or pointless bullshit.

I stay for the five percent, but I'm starting to doubt whether or not it's worth it. Especially because more and more I find myself participating in the bullshit, because really, sometimes there's nothing else to do here but not post. It may soon come time for a haitus...

Mr. Filth 01-04-2009 05:11 PM

Excellent parody. I wish I'd thought of it.

Necrophagist 01-04-2009 05:12 PM

^ Totally agree with Breathless.

Godslayer Jillian 01-04-2009 05:27 PM

I like MAxim

Breathless Horror 01-04-2009 05:30 PM

Me too, he shows me awesome Doom metal :)

Mr. Filth 01-04-2009 05:39 PM

So nobody realizes that he's parodying my parody, as EtS, of the anti-sematism thread Despanan made?

Godslayer Jillian 01-04-2009 05:54 PM

Yeah, that's why it's funny. A new guy can parody within context. I like that.

Xombie 01-04-2009 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breathless Horror
Me too, he shows me awesome Doom metal :)

Pass it on, please? :]

I Am Great. 01-04-2009 08:04 PM

12 / 10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1