Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Whining (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Rant Thread II (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=14781)

ape descendant 10-26-2015 02:35 PM

Hey Batty! *hugs* There's been no shortage of sickness and sadness here as well, though not on the grand scheme you've been dealing with. So, *huuuuugs*

BB I totally feel you on the BIL shit. I'm still rolling my eyes at my sister's choice in life mate. Not surprised, just still rolling my eyes.

Fruitbat 11-15-2015 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ape descendant (Post 812430)
Hey Batty! *hugs* There's been no shortage of sickness and sadness here as well, though not on the grand scheme you've been dealing with. So, *huuuuugs*

BB I totally feel you on the BIL shit. I'm still rolling my eyes at my sister's choice in life mate. Not surprised, just still rolling my eyes.

Sickness of any sort sucks....

I've started the process of live donor testing... Go me!

MereMortal 12-02-2015 09:06 PM

I'm going to preface this by saying that I am clearly not talking about Gnet.

Okay, here we go.

I fucking hate message boards. I couldn't stand clique shit in junior high, high school, or college and I didn't put up with it. It's like I'm reliving those days every time I set proverbial foot in any forum, sans like one.

It truly boggles my mind that these kinds of attitudes are still prevalent in adult people. Why are you so stunted? Was there a traumatic event that brought this out? What's the matter with you?

Also, a lot of people have this obnoxious ability to be both above the trivialities of internet social interaction, while also being highly aggressive and quick to anger due to the fact that you're not speaking face to face.

It's been one bad bullshit time after another when it comes to forums, and that's why I stopped using them. I was just tired of seeing people being ganged up on or excluded from certain situations because they're not part of "the group".

I once had a horrible time in some random pagan website because I mentioned that I didn't eat honey when somebody asked me if I liked mead. Immediate shitshow occurs, during which I am shouted at for "preaching". This was the beginning of the end.

I started to get back into it recently on other sites and it's just been fucked. Perhaps I just don't get the rules, or I'm not good at trying to ease myself into people's good graces, I dunno. I'm there to fucking talk and have opinions and say stuff and sometimes you don't agree with me and sometimes I don't agree with you and that's the whole fucking point. No need to start name calling or being overly abrasive.

I'm mad at myself that I even give a shit, but I do. Maybe I'm too old and I just don't know how to internet anymore. What are the rules? Is there a seminar for me or something?

/Rant

Pr1aP1sm 12-02-2015 10:34 PM

MereMortal,

I'm fairly new to Social Media, and still figuring some things out.
Still learning the Rules, or Social Graces of all this.
In some ways its just curiosity. A study on the human condition.
But it would be nice if the results were positive.
It seems to me that Social Media/Forums are a poor way to communicate,
But a great way to misunderstand each other.
And I think people transfer their mood into what they're reading too often.
Sarcasm can looks like Honesty, and vice versa.
AND don't forget some of us (People) are just Dicks anyway. So you can always count on that.

Plus I'm a sloppy mess and terrible at socializing, So I'm not surprised by these things.

That being said... I haven't encountered anything too bad here.
It does seem a bit quiet though.

At the end of the day their opinions can only matter to you if you validate them. You get the final approval.

Hope you get Positive Results.
And let me know about that Seminar.

Acharis 12-03-2015 05:10 AM

Wish I could advise you MM, but I'm finding I run into that a lot both online and in person. It's very rare for me to find a comfortable niche.

BourbonBoy 12-03-2015 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MereMortal (Post 812850)
I'm going to preface this by saying that I am clearly not talking about Gnet.

Okay, here we go.

I fucking hate message boards. I couldn't stand clique shit in junior high, high school, or college and I didn't put up with it. It's like I'm reliving those days every time I set proverbial foot in any forum, sans like one.

It truly boggles my mind that these kinds of attitudes are still prevalent in adult people. Why are you so stunted? Was there a traumatic event that brought this out? What's the matter with you?

Also, a lot of people have this obnoxious ability to be both above the trivialities of internet social interaction, while also being highly aggressive and quick to anger due to the fact that you're not speaking face to face.

It's been one bad bullshit time after another when it comes to forums, and that's why I stopped using them. I was just tired of seeing people being ganged up on or excluded from certain situations because they're not part of "the group".

I once had a horrible time in some random pagan website because I mentioned that I didn't eat honey when somebody asked me if I liked mead. Immediate shitshow occurs, during which I am shouted at for "preaching". This was the beginning of the end.

I started to get back into it recently on other sites and it's just been fucked. Perhaps I just don't get the rules, or I'm not good at trying to ease myself into people's good graces, I dunno. I'm there to fucking talk and have opinions and say stuff and sometimes you don't agree with me and sometimes I don't agree with you and that's the whole fucking point. No need to start name calling or being overly abrasive.

I'm mad at myself that I even give a shit, but I do. Maybe I'm too old and I just don't know how to internet anymore. What are the rules? Is there a seminar for me or something?

/Rant

You're not the only one who feels like this MM. Even on Facebook I hardly have conversations anymore and now only use it to keep up with old army friends. It's sad and strange how everyone in the last couple of years has developed an us vs them mentality. WTF's happened to decent behavior and the ability to have a civilized conversation online or irl?

Fuck it, I'll be in the tree house with Ape

Saya 12-03-2015 08:35 PM

....Is that Pineapple Juice?

Don't let the meadsters grind you down, PJ. We love you!

Anise 12-05-2015 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BourbonBoy (Post 812858)
WTF's happened to decent behavior and the ability to have a civilized conversation online or irl?

I hear you MereMortal and concur with all <3
I think over time the net has in a way degraded manners?
Is that fair to say? I mean, in the early days there was a lot less cocklordery.
To my mind, over time people became more and more accustomed to the level of anonymity provided .. hiding behind avatars and strutting their stuff behind keyboards and the safety of their screen. They get away with saying shit that they could never conceive of uttering irl .. get to stretch their tongues.

I think it's also worthwhile to remember that these days pretty much everyone now has net access .. aaand .. how do I put this? Mmmm, there are varying degrees of intelligent life form out there? o.O

Good manners cost us nothing, unfortunately some are either unwilling to share; or devoid of good grace in the first place. Then of course you have those unfortunate creatures who go out of their way to spew words of ill. They stir up ill feeling in an attempt to empower themselves .. sad.

They are dickheads, I try to feel pity for their quandary, but as a wise woman once said "Ain't nobody got time for that!"

Have to say .. it's rather safe feeling around these parts MM ..
What say I hereby offer to put up the Dukes to anyone that razzles?
If you find another to be raining on your parade, holler for me and I shall promptly offer them outside .. Queensbury Rules ;)

Stormbringer 12-05-2015 04:58 PM

Politeness, regard for the feelings of others, empathy and courtesy are a big part of what make us a society, indeed it is these things that make us a civilization.

It goes without saying that we all want to be treated with respect and so we must first treat others with respect.

If people are nasty to you on the net, nothing works better against them than the cold shoulder; unfriend them, block them, cast them into the abyss of irrelevance.

As goths, I feel we are in a special position to demonstrate to society at large that we are kinder, politer and, the men amongst us, more chivalrous than most. If only to reassure people that although we might look different we are none the less valuable members of society worthy of their respect.

I read The Lady of the Manners (Juillian Vernters) excellent book "Gothic Charm School" years ago and It confirmed what I already believed.

No matter if you are on the net, at the supermarket, at work or in a family that might not understand you, courtesy, politeness and regard for others always have a place. At work I always thank people for the slightest courtesy done me, and go out of my way to open the door for our delivery staff or if I see someone that needs help, I help them if I can. I use 'old fashioned' phrases such as 'may I,' or 'would you be so kind as to' or 'may I be of assistence'. That's just how I am, I'm not suggesting everyone adopt this mode but it amazes some of our new staff. One of them once said to me, "You're like someone from a bygone age...." That made my day.

MereMortal 12-05-2015 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saya (Post 812864)
....Is that Pineapple Juice?

Don't let the meadsters grind you down, PJ. We love you!

It mee!

Thanks, y'all. I feel much mo betta.

BourbonBoy 12-08-2015 10:26 PM

Beginning of a bug has struck me. Phooey. At least I have my NyQuil

Anise 12-09-2015 07:12 PM

Oh noes! Hope it passes quick for ya BB!
Get the Tea Tree out ;)

Acharis 12-11-2015 01:20 AM

I had my blood drawn today and blew a vein. Ouch :(

Anise 12-13-2015 07:33 AM

Ewwwwww poor darlin' <3

Pr1aP1sm 12-13-2015 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acharis (Post 813047)
I had my blood drawn today and blew a vein. Ouch :(

Woo, Ouch!
That's BRUTAL.
Hope you're feeling better.

Acharis 12-14-2015 12:33 AM

Getting there. It's not as dramatic as it sounds but still rather gross.

Fruitbat 12-14-2015 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BourbonBoy (Post 812858)
You're not the only one who feels like this MM. Even on Facebook I hardly have conversations anymore and now only use it to keep up with old army friends. It's sad and strange how everyone in the last couple of years has developed an us vs them mentality. WTF's happened to decent behavior and the ability to have a civilized conversation online or irl?

Fuck it, I'll be in the tree house with Ape

Oohhhh I'm putting the kettle on!!

I've had a shit week. The antibiotics for a cough Mr Bat had last week didn't work. Took him to the dr today and was told "Go straight to hospital, this guy has pneumonia"

Emergency depts. are no place for Babybat. An oldie was chainstoking... Fuck that!

Acharis 12-14-2015 08:39 PM

*hospital fist bumps for Fruitbat*

Anise 12-15-2015 10:24 AM

Ohhh how awful! Lots of get well wishes to Monsieur Bat <3

ape descendant 12-15-2015 11:11 AM

Gaaagh! Look at all of ya, with problems and stuff. I have half a mind to hug each and every one of you. *huuuugs*

Acharis 12-19-2015 01:28 AM

*creeps sadly into hugs*

Anise 12-19-2015 01:25 PM

Someone say hugs? o.O
Scurries in .. room for a little 'un?

SoftShocks 12-20-2015 04:40 PM

I chipped a tooth eating popcorn when I went to see Star Wars. Fuck.

Anise 12-20-2015 05:13 PM

Oh shiiiiiiit :(
I cracked a tooth on a McDonalds veggie patty 2 summers ago!
Karma for giving those tossers money in the first place lol
Oh hun that sucks!
I'd love to see the Force Awakens, but I'm a little bit dodgy with la cinema.
It panics me >< heightens my anxiety.

Last film I saw in that environment was District 9 ..
[spoiler]
There's a scene where an Alien is in a firing squad situ, and his little arms are in the air, he's so terrified .. they shoot him! They killed him! Aaand I had a panic attack! I just started crying, then shaking, then hyper ventilating. I was sitting between 2 friends and they were trying to get me to sip their cokes and calm lol .. but the little Alien! :o
Killed for being different! I just couldn't cope!

Sooo, gonna have to illegally download Star Wars new flick like the pirate I am.
Watch it in the safety of home; and there'd better not be any sweet little Aliens getting it! ;) lol

Hope your little toothy is ok sweet pea xxx

SoftShocks 12-20-2015 05:16 PM

Oh no! Its whatever I suppose, hopefully I won't need a root canal