Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Music (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Cocteau Twins (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=11481)

Tea and Cake or Death 07-18-2008 12:34 AM

Cocteau Twins

I've recently discovered them, and I am quite ashamed to have not heard their music sooner. I had heard of them, just never actually been subjected to their music before. What do you think of them?

BTW...YES...I REALIZE THEY AREN'T GOTH! LET'S NOT RELIVE THE NIGHTMARE THAT IS THE MARILYN MANSON THREAD! I JUST WANT YOUR THOUGHTS ON THEIR SOUND, NOT THEIR GENRE!

Bete Noire 07-18-2008 12:37 AM

I've not listened to much of them, but they seem good. I shall have to listen more widely I think.

She_Is_My_Sin 07-18-2008 01:52 AM

I like a few tracks and pretty much most fo the stuff from 'Treasure'. They've got a nice sound. But their lyrics are quite bizzare.

cell88 07-18-2008 02:16 AM

I love them,i remember my Dad listening to them all the time and telling me to listen to them when i was younger.But i only started listening when i was around 13.
i really like them, theres something about them that just gets to me

^________^

viscus 07-18-2008 02:41 AM

Cocteau Twins are marginally Goth, actually. :-P

I quite enjoy Treasure and Heaven or Las Vegas.

Darcnyss 07-18-2008 04:04 AM

I like them quite a bit. True, their lyrics are quite bizarre, but their song titles on the album "Blue Bell Knoll" were even more bizarre!

Bat Brains 07-18-2008 05:07 AM

I've always seen them as a goth band.
I found a couple of their records in an op shop in NSW ages ago. I didn't know who they were at the time so I didn't buy them!
Woe is me.

Minyaliel 07-18-2008 04:37 PM

They were partially my introduction to goth music, actually (I won't enter the debate - I listened, liked and went on to Siouxsie and Rasputina). I like them just as much as I like Dead Can Dance (which is quite a lot). One of the reasons being that I can actually say I enjoy listening to the vocalist's singing. This is rare, because I have a horrible tendency to automatically start picking apart and analyzing music and the performance of the musician(s) when I hear it. (Annoying!)

Corpsey 07-18-2008 06:34 PM

Happy Dude thrust a few of their songs upon me some time ago and I listen to a few of their songs regularly but I haven't done much looking into the band. They're on my list of 'to buy one day when I can afford to' lists.

Tea and Cake or Death 07-18-2008 11:08 PM

Now, HOW are they Goth? I'm not arguing, just wanting to understand. I personally felt that they were on the fence, but I was told otherwise from someone who I consider to be quite knowledgeable on such things. Hmmm... So....Okay. What are the defining qualities they hold that classifies them as Goth?

Aaroneet 07-19-2008 09:54 AM

The vocals are unique, if anything. My favorite song by them is "Heaven or Las Vegas". I read that they were classified as Goth; from there I listened to Joy Division. The Cocteau Twins have a mostly ethereal sound.

TopHaggardDoll 07-19-2008 05:14 PM

I love the Cocteau Twins, me and my girlfriend ate sweeties to Sugar Hiccup and were all like EEEEEE! HEHEHE!

Yes, it was stupid, they're a great band though, they never fail to make me smile.

Underwater Ophelia 07-19-2008 08:48 PM

I think they're great. Cherry Coloured Funk is a good album.

new_division 07-22-2008 09:42 AM

Cocteau Twins is a really good band
I love their music and Elizabeth Frazer's voice is so beautiful

The only one cd I got is "Stars and Topsoil" that is a kind of greatest hits compilation.

Rorschach Twin 07-22-2008 10:34 AM

They're excellent! They're more related to the original post-punk bands (such as Joy Division) than most bands truly deemed "Gothic Rock", at least in my opinion.

Sadly though, I only have Milk and Kisses and Four Calender Cafe. What are some other good LPs by them?