Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Literature (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Edgar Allan Poe in 'The Crow' (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=23163)

OnyxBat 08-09-2010 06:41 AM

Edgar Allan Poe in 'The Crow'

I was watching 'The Crow' (my third favorite movie) and one secene when Draven goes to the pawn shop and knocks on the door while reciting 'The Raven' by Edgar Allen Poe. I know they are trying to put goth in to a melancholy story but you can not put another bird into the movie if the movie is called 'The Crow'. It's like not knowing the difference between a red apple and a green apple.

Tam Li Hua 08-09-2010 06:43 AM

It may be that it was already in the comic, which would explain why it was in the movie. Besides, dude's name is "Draven". Take out the "D" and what do you have? ;)

Regardless, I think you're reading too much into it, but if it makes you feel better, maybe they were going for a "Raven vs. Crow" thing. I don't know.

OnyxBat 08-09-2010 06:57 AM

It's not that I was reading into it, just had a 'wow did they seriously do that?' moment. Didn't notice that in his name. I do think it was in the comic I have to re-read it again. It would be nice if there was another villan named the Raven and then they just battle it off.

Tam Li Hua 08-09-2010 06:58 AM

I guess.

The guy wrote the comic series after someone close to him died; I doubt he was thinking -that- much about bird names.

OnyxBat 08-09-2010 07:02 AM

Yeah or maybe it was the director, you know how Hollywood is their always trying to perfect things.

Tam Li Hua 08-09-2010 07:08 AM

If it was in the comic then it wouldn't have anything to do with Hollywood, though...

OnyxBat 08-09-2010 07:13 AM

But I saying is it weren't in the comic then Hollywood would have edited the script.

Azareal Crow 08-09-2010 02:53 PM

Most people can't tell the difference between a raven and crow to begin with, and I think them having Draven reciting lines from "The Raven" is more about the fact that the storyline of the movie at least carries parallels to the poem, in the main idea of both being to get back something that was lost, than the directors and creators trying to "add goth into the movie" the movie is pretty gothic without the poem.

OnyxBat 08-09-2010 05:00 PM

But the movie has a Gothic sense, fashion, and music so by adding 'The raven'
they pretty much add a basic icon of the Gothic subculture. He just recited:
"suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door."
and nothing more. You are right it is hard to tell the difference between the two. But the symbols they represent are different.

Tam Li Hua 08-09-2010 05:04 PM

Like I said, Onyx, I think you're reading entirely too much about it.

OnyxBat 08-09-2010 05:09 PM

Yeah maybe I am, I tend to get up during movie and miss some parts and when I see the whole movie again with out missing parts I am all ears.

Saya 08-09-2010 06:00 PM

The Crow graphic novel has a lot of Poe references, of course they got one in.

gothicusmaximus 08-09-2010 06:33 PM

That actually is a very annoyingly muddled metaphor. These are the reasons why The Crow should not be anyone's third-favorite movie.

Azareal Crow 08-09-2010 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus (Post 631863)
That actually is a very annoyingly muddled metaphor. These are the reasons why The Crow should not be anyone's third-favorite movie.

Should I take these as a jab against me? *shrug* people like what they like, and they have their reasons for it.

Tam Li Hua 08-09-2010 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azareal Crow (Post 631865)
Should I take these as a jab against me? *shrug* people like what they like, and they have their reasons for it.

I tend to agree. =)

Alan 08-09-2010 06:58 PM

The reasons being Schindler's List, China Town, Vivre Sa Vie, Casablanca, City Lights, La Vita è Bella, Prova d'Orchestra, Apocalypse Now, Taxi Driver, and Singin' in the Rain are below you?

Saya 08-09-2010 07:02 PM

Well, there's what you consider great movies and then there are movies you consider your favourites. A Fistful of Dollars isn't the best movie in the trilogy but its my favourite film.

The Crow isn't anything special, I know that, and it has tons of flaws, but I still enjoy it.

OnyxBat 08-09-2010 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azareal Crow (Post 631865)

I agree, brandon lee is a hottie in black <3

Alan 08-09-2010 07:09 PM

The difference between cool members and lame members is best exemplified by the two posts preceding this one.

OnyxBat 08-09-2010 07:13 PM

Alan shove your dick down your throat and die, any woman or gay man knows it's true.

Alan 08-09-2010 07:26 PM

So? It's a fucking pathetic excuse to have a favorite movie. Almost as pathetic as speaking for "any [and every] woman and gay man."

OnyxBat 08-09-2010 07:34 PM

Your twisting my words, I have my own reason for liking 'The Crow' and I just commented that Brandon lee is a hottie, what are you jealous because cant have his good looks?

Alan 08-09-2010 08:12 PM

You've obviously not seen a picture of me.

Tam Li Hua 08-09-2010 08:27 PM

You are so weird, Alan; so "The Crow" is a movie the kid enjoys. Be the adult I know you are and just let it go.

You're as gripy as a grumpy old man. lol

HumanePain 08-09-2010 08:27 PM

I was encouraged when I read Edgar's name was spelled correctly in the title, and disappointed when I opened the thread. But I have made the same mistake.