Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   General (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Your belief of Choice? (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=8449)

Delkaetre 11-28-2007 10:07 PM

Your belief of Choice?

A question, if I may... what's your religion of choice? There are so many these days, it's hard to keep track!
I'm a Discordian Pope, myself. No, that doesn't interfere at all with my atheism. Eris likes contradictions.

Nevan 11-28-2007 10:43 PM

WTF... Invisible pink unicorn?!

How the hell do they know it's pink if it's invisible?

*goooooooogles*

Google is god...

On your question - I can't really answer. Long ago I took interest in practically every form of religion I could read about in our tiny local library at the time, and I also obtained a degree in theology since.

But regarding all this stuff, in the end I think that essentially it's all the same candy, just in different wrappers.

Nah, I'm fuck-tired of religion. Seen too much of it. I believe in living by my own self-defined morals and values and who cares if it falls within the range of some belief system anyway?

Delkaetre 11-28-2007 10:47 PM

The joy of Discordianism, Church of the Subgenius, Pastarfarianism and worship of the IPU is that it exists very nearly entirely to mock the strange wrappings of that same candy.
I have entirely my own morals and personal habits, they're not defined by any ordainment. But I can happily claim to be a Discordian Pope because, well, it's fun to. And it'll give me something interesting to put on my tax form. And it makes for a great debate with hard-line Christians or other religious fundamentalists.
You might like Pastafarianism. Rum's the holy drink, pasta's the holy food, and pirate dress is the official religious garb.

Nevan 11-28-2007 11:02 PM

Oh damn, I just came accross this one:

The Universal Church of Google is an online community founded by Reverend Peter Olsen of the Universal Life Church, who claims that one can make a convincing argument that Google is in fact a deity:

"It is certainly all-knowing," he says, "and it can provide immediate answers to nearly all of your questions, which is far more than can be said for many of the popular deities of today."

Hmm, I'm thinking - I can do pasta and I can do google.

... so I'll call myself a pastagooglealist.

Yeah... I see your point, it's very ironic, really.

Minyaliel 11-29-2007 12:13 AM

Oh man, not another religion thread...

Delkaetre 11-29-2007 12:17 AM

This one doesn't take itself at all seriously, Minyaliel. However, if the consensus that this rather frivolous thing is a waste of space, we can all simply not post on it and it will fall down the pages and vanish safely.

Drake Dun 11-29-2007 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevan
WTF... Invisible pink unicorn?! How the hell do they know it's pink if it's invisible?

That's the point. The IPU is an invention of proselytizing atheists. The bit about being invisible and pink is poking fun at the fact that if you start to think in a serious way about the doctrines of pretty much any religion, they are not only disconnected from reality, but self-contradictory.

No gods. No masters.

Drake

viscus 11-29-2007 12:26 AM

How about apathy? The existence or non-existence of a deity or afterlife has no bearing on my current state of being, so I really don't care.

Drake Dun 11-29-2007 12:29 AM

But aren't you afraid of going to HELL?! Your immortal soul is in mortal peril!

Drake

Minyaliel 11-29-2007 12:30 AM

No need to get all defensive. I guess I reacted a little too quickly, and I'm sorry about that. By the way, ever heard of the Church of Least Resistance? I seriously like that one...

Delkaetre 11-29-2007 12:50 AM

Church of Least Resistance is new me- I'm off to bed now (it's 8am, been up since 11am), but if someone could be provide me with a brief synopsis I'd be appreciative.

gothicusmaximus 11-29-2007 01:39 AM

I worship the Great Pumpkin.

Sir Canvas Corpsey 11-29-2007 01:53 AM

Go go Satanism, the principle of living freely by your own choices!

Well that's what other people call it.

Blood-drinking "satanists" make me laugh, many Christians and "Satanists" should actually do some reading and research into who and what Satan is/was...

spoon! 11-29-2007 04:19 AM

I'm a very free-thinking Christian to the point that I've already paved my own highway to Hell XD

TopHaggardDoll 11-29-2007 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Canvas Corpsey
Go go Satanism, the principle of living freely by your own choices!

Well that's what other people call it.

Yeah, we can do what we want and be FREE! LETS ALL BE SATANISTS!

.....wait a minute......can't I just be free and make my own choices anyway?

Pointless religion, lol.

We should all be Focan!

Minyaliel 11-29-2007 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TopHaggardDoll
Yeah, we can do what we want and be FREE! LETS ALL BE SATANISTS!

.....wait a minute......can't I just be free and make my own choices anyway?

Pointless religion, lol.

Umm, excuse me, but I was rather offended by this. I do not really appreciate to see my beliefs belittled like that. I mean, by all means, poke as much fun at it as you possibly can (it's religion anyway), but saying it is pointless is like giving someone a kick in the guts.

Minyaliel 11-29-2007 07:56 AM

By the way - this is the site of the Curch of Least Resistance: http://www.grendel.org/eppy/church.htm

Underwater Ophelia 11-29-2007 08:20 AM

I'm a pagan.

HumanePain 11-29-2007 08:25 AM

Church of the Blind Chihuahua:

http://www.dogchurch.org/index.shtml

>.>

<.<

OK, I'm really a Christian.
:D

Rosie 11-29-2007 08:27 AM

I believe in YOUR MOM lol

StasisInDarkness 11-29-2007 09:36 AM

I believe in Bokononism.

(ie: Kurt Vonnegut is my God)

korinna5555 11-29-2007 09:41 AM

I am a Druid, and I incoprorate Native American shamanism.

wonderland 11-29-2007 05:51 PM

I keep with traditional Scandinavian religious beliefs, although I tend to practice them in a somewhat non-traditional way. That's the best way I can think to sum it up, though I realize it doesn't explain much.

Paigeybobert 11-29-2007 06:30 PM

I'm an Atheist. I used to be a hardcore Christian but I opened my eyes.

DepthsofSpace 11-29-2007 06:43 PM

Tolstoy-isque Christian, with heavy 18th-century Deist philosophies towards the Creator.

(I can't believe the Flying Spaghetti Monster isn't on-- Oh! Wait, Pastafarians! There we go!)