Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Music (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Prince..... (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=1162)

horrorgirl 12-08-2005 09:26 PM

Prince.....

Prince was one of the first musicians whose music I really got into. In fact I remember seeing Purple Rain(billed with The Road Warrior) when it came out and loving every single song in that movie. In the 80's he had his own thing going and while others tried to copy him nobody could even come close.Plus he wore those nifty outfits.He was an overall freak, which made him popular with a lot of subculture denizens back then. If you have never heard any of his early work here are some song suggestions.

The entire Purple Rain soundtrack(also see the movie)
Little Red Corvette
Delirious
Erotic City(dirty little ditty that raised a storm when it came out)
Kiss

Manimal 12-08-2005 09:32 PM

I was never a big fan of Prince. Some of his music was fairly decent though. For me in the 80's it was Bon Jovi and Def Leppard that started me out.

horrorgirl 12-08-2005 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manimal
I was never a big fan of Prince. Some of his music was fairly decent though. For me in the 80's it was Bon Jovi and Def Leppard that started me out.

I was into Prince,Adam Ant,Flock Of Seagulls and various other things in junior high. I started out pretty much as a new waver. It went all downhill after that..... ;-)

User Name 12-08-2005 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horrorgirl
Prince was one of the first musicians whose music I really got into. In fact I remember seeing Purple Rain(billed with The Road Warrior) when it came out and loving every single song in that movie. In the 80's he had his own thing going and while others tried to copy him nobody could even come close.Plus he wore those nifty outfits.He was an overall freak, which made him popular with a lot of subculture denizens back then. If you have never heard any of his early work here are some song suggestions.

The entire Purple Rain soundtrack(also see the movie)
Little Red Corvette
Delirious
Erotic City(dirty little ditty that raised a storm when it came out)
Kiss

darling nikki is dope stuff!

horrorgirl 12-08-2005 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by User Name
darling nikki is dope stuff!

I remember my mom thinking that it was totally perverted! HA! I remember roller rink skating to Erotic City back then. Now THAT song was quite perverted!

Blushing Heliophobe 12-08-2005 11:27 PM

I am too young to remember Prince from 'back in the day' but I listen to Prince now.

When I was 16 I was working at Target, and some old man tried to hit on me by calling me 'Darling Nikki' (cause that's my name) and told me to check it out. I was very naive at the time and it was quite a shock.

Ever since then I've thought Prince rocks.

Come on, if the man can dress up as a Purple Pirate without a blink of the eye like that, he's got my respect.

devereaux 12-08-2005 11:37 PM

I've got to confess...I have a three-disc Prince boxset in my music collection and I love it. (let's go crazy)

User Name 12-08-2005 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blushing Heliophobe

Ever since then I've thought Prince rocks.

Come on, if the man can dress up as a Purple Pirate without a blink of the eye like that, he's got my respect.

aaaand .. HIGH HEELS!!

then he gets to sleep with apollonia.. that's not fair! lol

horrorgirl 12-08-2005 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devereaux
I've got to confess...I have a three-disc Prince boxset in my music collection and I love it. (let's go crazy)

I am probably going to get that this month. :-) That and an old school rap box set. Me happy.

devereaux 12-09-2005 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horrorgirl
I am probably going to get that this month. :-) That and an old school rap box set. Me happy.

I used to jump on the bed to the song "She Drives Me Crazy" by the Fine Young Cannibals when I was a kid, when it played on my clock radio (which was pretty much the only access I had to music at the time). When Prince's "1999" played on the radio, 1999 seemed so far away that by then everyone would have robot butlers...of course at that time in my life, I wanted to be a ninja when "I grew up".

Blushing Heliophobe 12-09-2005 12:06 AM

See? How many men can wear high heels and still get women? Prince is of a special breed...

horrorgirl 12-09-2005 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devereaux
I used to jump on the bed to the song "She Drives Me Crazy" by the Fine Young Cannibals when I was a kid, when it played on my clock radio (which was pretty much the only access I had to music at the time). When Prince's "1999" played on the radio, 1999 seemed so far away that by then everyone would have robot butlers...of course at that time in my life, I wanted to be a ninja when "I grew up".

I was in high school when She Drives Me Crazy came out. I remember being in Safeway with my mom,hearing that song in the store,and seeing a middle agged surburban shoppoer singing out loud to it. That was really surreal

rockandrose 12-09-2005 02:18 AM

Prince's music doesn't appeal to me.

When I think of the 80s, I usually immediately think of glam rock!

Surgeon Méchant De Sang 01-15-2006 02:13 AM

LOL!

I grew up listening to Prince. I remember my parents buying one of his CD's. The one song she loved the most (and still does) was Little Red Corvette.
As for me, I have the three disc set. My favorite song is Cream...
*Continues licking lips*

User Name 09-30-2015 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockandrose (Post 68651)
Prince's music doesn't appeal to me.

When I think of the 80s, I usually immediately think of glam rock!

How about now? Surely you have found a new perspective since? :)

MereMortal 12-02-2015 09:13 PM

I love the shit out of Prince. Had an aversion to him for petty reasons as a youth (because I love Michael Jackson and I thought it was traitorous to like Prince). Now, I'm dating somebody who loves Prince about as much as I love Michael Jackson and he's fast becoming a new obsession.

Took all of his music off of streaming sites recently and only allows it on Tidal, which is kind of a shitty move but whatever.

Anise 12-03-2015 05:13 AM

I listened to Parade quite a bit as a kid and Musicology was immense ..
Prince is a great musician and an expressive, intriguing, eccentric artist ...
What's not to love ;)

MereMortal 12-04-2015 08:57 AM

What'd you guys think of plectrumelectrum and art official?

Videogirl88 02-15-2016 10:56 AM

I love Prince too. He's a musical genius. I first started listening to him because of the Batman soundtrack he did. His movies are great too, you get to see his fun and humorous side. He's so cute. :)