Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   General (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Not Pale, Not Goth? (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=25583)

Dovahkiin 10-17-2011 10:25 PM

Not Pale, Not Goth?

I told a friend of mine today I was tired of having the skin color of paper. I told him I was going to start tanning. He told me if I did I would't count as goth. How do I explain to her that skin color has nothing to do with being goth?

AshleyO 10-17-2011 10:36 PM

Christ. Can you do any better than goth or do you LIKE conforming to their aesthetics like some kind of sheep?

Fuck goth. Get laid, son. There's cooler shit out there than looking like an idiot.

Dovahkiin 10-17-2011 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AshleyO (Post 682447)
Christ. Can you do any better than goth or do you LIKE conforming to their aesthetics like some kind of sheep?

Fuck goth. Get laid, son. There's cooler shit out there than looking like an idiot.

If you don't like goths why are you here?

AshleyO 10-17-2011 11:02 PM

You know... I actually LIKE some of the people here. They've gone beyond the teenage fantasies of sticking it to the man with their Tripp pants and black nails and kinda became a person of substance.

You really should try to do the same.

Also, just to let you know, it'd be in your best interest not to argue about this. You wont find anyone who's going to side with you for the most part.

Dovahkiin 10-17-2011 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AshleyO (Post 682451)
You know... I actually LIKE some of the people here. They've gone beyond the teenage fantasies of sticking it to the man with their Tripp pants and black nails and kinda became a person of substance. You really should try to do the same.

That isn't what I'm doing. You don't know me and should't make assumptions. You are on a gothic forum and you are saying fuck goth we look like idiots? What do you get from this site? I don't need anyone to take my side. I'm completely capable of standing up against ignorance.

AshleyO 10-17-2011 11:12 PM

Get a tan then. The fuck do you care who thinks your goth?

You know what? You've got a guilty conscience.

You're faking this shit. The fact that it MATTERS to you that your friend still thinks you're a goth after burning up your skin is what your problem is.

Since when did Goth ever affect any kind of thing with substance?

Dovahkiin 10-17-2011 11:20 PM

Are you blind? You obviously did not read my orignal post. I never said I was bothered by what she thought about it. I asked how do I properly explain to her that skin tone has nothing to do with it.

Exactly what am I faking? I dress and act according what what I feel, nothing fake about that.

I still don't understand if you don't like goths why the fuck are you here? This is a gothic website, with a gothic community, I asked for advice, not unintelligent smart ass comments.

AshleyO 10-17-2011 11:33 PM

Dude.... you're posting about a topic that tries to rationalize goth.

Again, WHY does it matter to you as to what your friend thinks is goth?

WHO. GIVES. A. ROLLING. FUCK?

If you really didn't give a damn about what your friend thought, the appropriate response to not being considered goth cause you've tanned yourself to alligator skin would be, "Mmm. That's too bad. I guess I'm not goth anymore."

March the fuck on, dude. This isn't a real bother. So why do you care?

Miss Absynthe 10-18-2011 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dovahkiin (Post 682455)
Exactly what am I faking? I dress and act according what what I feel, nothing fake about that.

Tell your friend this.

Alan 10-18-2011 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AshleyO (Post 682456)
WHO. GIVES. A. ROLLING. FUCK?

No. Tell your friend this.

Poser.

Renatus 10-18-2011 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dovahkiin (Post 682446)
I told a friend of mine today I was tired of having the skin color of paper. I told him I was going to start tanning. He told me if I did I would't count as goth. How do I explain to her that skin color has nothing to do with being goth?

If skin color had anything to do with being a goth, we wouldn't have black goths. "I'm so goth, my skin turned black" That just popped up in my head.

Goth or not however, I just don't get the whole tanning craze really, why do people like changing their skin to something darker? But I say this from the perspective of someone of half Colombian descent who has naturally tan skin.

But if you do REALLY want to get a tan, you had better not use a tanning bed or booth, I just think the use of those is just completely idiotic.

Grausamkeit 10-18-2011 01:14 PM

I think I got a slight hint of color from riding my bike....I r no longer goff!!

:(

wolf moon 10-18-2011 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renatus (Post 682500)
Goth or not however, I just don't get the whole tanning craze really, why do people like changing their skin to something darker? But I say this from the perspective of someone of half Colombian descent who has naturally tan skin.

I don't really understand getting all worked up about it either way. Laying around in the sun doing nothing just to change your skin tone is silly. Staying inside all the time or covering yourself in chemicals and developing vitamin D deficiency while trying not to change it is equally so.

Miss Absynthe 10-18-2011 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grausamkeit (Post 682507)
I think I got a slight hint of color from riding my bike....I r no longer goff!!

Yeah, well you lost your goff card when you stopped being depressed enough to ride a bike. :P

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf moon (Post 682513)
I don't really understand getting all worked up about it either way. Laying around in the sun doing nothing just to change your skin tone is silly. Staying inside all the time or covering yourself in chemicals and developing vitamin D deficiency while trying not to change it is equally so.

Not having a tan doesn't necessarily mean that someone stays inside all of the time or covers themselves with chemicals. I am as pale as pale can be and I go outside everyday - I just wear sensible clothing and use an umbrella. I don't have a Vitamin D deficiency. I also don't do it out of any sort of aesthetic motivation... I just don't want skin cancer.

Renatus 10-18-2011 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf moon (Post 682513)

I'm not saying it's wrong to develop a tan through normal outdoor activity.

Ben Lahnger 10-18-2011 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grausamkeit (Post 682507)

No, you just need to get the seat adjusted.

:p

Quote:

I told a friend of mine today I was tired of having beer the color of piss. I told him I was going to start drinking stout. He told me if I did it would't count as beer. How do I explain to her that beer color has nothing to do with being tasty?
There, that's more interesting. Although, I was going to fix the gender-switched pronoun at the end, but decided to leave it.

wolf moon 10-18-2011 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Absynthe (Post 682518)
Not having a tan doesn't necessarily mean that someone stays inside all of the time or covers themselves with chemicals. I am as pale as pale can be and I go outside everyday - I just wear sensible clothing and use an umbrella. I don't have a Vitamin D deficiency. I also don't do it out of any sort of aesthetic motivation... I just don't want skin cancer.

I agree that there is a difference between being pale and being obsessed with being pale. I am extremely fair-skinned - it's next to impossible for me to find foundation because with most, the lightest shade is still a couple times too dark to blend with my skin. But I don't go out of my way to avoid sunlight (by staying indoors or in the shade), nor do I use chemical barriers. Skin cancer is actually a lot more likely to develop after a few severe burns than it is through regular, reasonable sun exposure (which actually protects against cancer). I just think it's silly to devote any significant energy to cultivating a particular complexion either way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renatus (Post 682520)
I'm not saying it's wrong to develop a tan through normal outdoor activity.

Oh I know... I was just commenting on the general preoccupation you mentioned. Adding to your comment, not contradicting it. :)

Grausamkeit 10-18-2011 07:22 PM

Yeah, I really DO need to get the seat adjusted before I end up black and blue.

Catch 10-18-2011 09:11 PM

I remember when I stopped tanning. It wasn't to look creepy, it was because of all the scary information about skin cancer and UV Rays. It made sense to avoid sunlight whenever possible; however, scientists found out that sunlight kills certain types of bacteria people ingest. Some strands are deadly to people in large amounts, but no one ever noticed because getting some sun isn't too uncommon. Weighing out the options, tanning is important enough to risk a sun burn.

So many people quit tanning, it became like the New Goth Look. However, I never thought I was a vampire.

As for naturally darker skin comment, I had a friend with a dark complexion and lack of sunlight causes various affects on skin tone. In the past, those characteristics, graying and so-on, would also be highlighted as preferred traits; however, the days of cancer paranoia are over and I am glad.

Ben Lahnger 10-18-2011 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grausamkeit (Post 682539)

Um, I don't know about the blue ... but wouldn't the black make you MORE goff?

wolf moon 10-19-2011 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grausamkeit (Post 682539)

Sometimes, the blonde gets in the way of my thought processes. So I read this, then sat here for a minute trying to figure out how an ill-adjusted seat would cause spontaneous bruising. Then I figured it out. Totally got this now.

My dad used to tell me that uncomfortable bike seats were better for you. But he was a professional cyclist, and therefore pretty obsessed with some pretty silly aspects of riding. He also lies a lot.

Grausamkeit 10-19-2011 06:03 AM

Uncomfortable seats keep you from sitting, therefore ensuring a better workout for your lower body. I'm not a pro so I need to sit sometimes. Riding a bike is not my preferred method for getting black and blue marks on my ass. :p

wolf moon 10-19-2011 07:50 AM

It was something about building muscle... your butt getting harder so the hard seat wouldn't bruise, I think. I didn't pay a lot of attention. Cyclists have a lot of theories about a lot of things, most of them silly and/or extreme.

If they want to keep themselves from sitting, they usually just remove the seat and post altogether. Although my dad rode mountain bikes, not road bikes, so he never went that far. Getting hit in the ass with a metal pole while landing a jump would probably make you wish you were dead.

Grausamkeit 10-19-2011 07:53 AM

I've found that mountain bikes are far more durable for how I ride than regular bikes. I need to replace mine soon since the shifters stick.

† ÐJ Ðårk † 10-19-2011 01:42 PM

My soul, feelings and viewpoint of life seem to be gothic. In summertime, I get some tan (it's almost impossible to avoid that here, this is a VERY sunny place). I don't wear leathers/boots in summertime. Basically, I don't give a fuck about what people think about my look or my musics. Not my business. "Authenticity" it's just a sign of stupidity, IMHO.