Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Fashion (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Cats. (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=10164)

Dr.Fetusface 03-18-2008 12:45 PM

Cats.

I have four cats. There is no escape from cat hair in sight so what do you all recommend for fabric types to keep it at bay? Or atleast not needing tape every five minutes because the hair floats in the air. I know it's not the end of the world but sometimes I could go without people asking me what kind of print I'm wearing.

Bete Noire 03-18-2008 12:46 PM

Cats can be shaved.:D
Or waxed.

Anti-Mindvirus 03-18-2008 12:50 PM

just get a link roller at a drug store. Works perfect.

http://www.arcatapet.com/fullsize/1108.jpg

Solumina 03-18-2008 12:57 PM

Really smooth fabrics (such as satin) will be a bit harder for the hair to catch on but you're still going to need a lint roller or something before you go out of the house

emeraldlonewoulf 03-18-2008 01:01 PM

A vacuum and an air purifier work wonders.

ApothoKeri 03-18-2008 03:07 PM

Yea I have 3 cats and 2 dogs. I buy the Evercare (sp?) brand lint rollers, for the daily cleaning of sofas and bed spreads and the three to four times daily cleaning of my clothes that I am wearing...usually I go through about 5 a week. I keep on in the car too and one in my large suitcase so I never forget one when out of town because usually something I packed will have cat hair hiding somewhere.

drewsilla 03-18-2008 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bete Noire
Cats can be shaved.:D
Or waxed.

*falls over*

Opteron_Man 03-19-2008 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anti-Mindvirus
just get a link roller at a drug store. Works perfect.

http://www.arcatapet.com/fullsize/1108.jpg

Yah I agree with Anti-Mindvirus, it would work well with cat hair.

Bete Noire 03-19-2008 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewsilla
*falls over*

Hehe. I love cats. And I would (probably) never shave or wax one.

Ideality 03-19-2008 09:22 AM

My room mates are fostering a cat and if all things work out, they will adopt her. Right now, she's restricted to their room so it can acclimate but when she eventually does start to roam, I'm curious to as to how this cat hair gets everywhere. I sew quite a bit and tend to leave my projects out, should I start invest in lint rollers?

Does long haired-ness or short haired-ness have anything to do with how much hair is shed? (I'm sure Shadow... No, that was her actually name before adoption. How awesome is that..? is a Russian Blue. So, according to wiki, she sheds less...)

Minyaliel 03-19-2008 10:53 AM

If you can't handle the hairs, get a nude cat. They're expensive and look like something that fell down from mars in my opinion, but then again some people like having to put sunblock on their cats before leaving the house.

ApothoKeri 03-19-2008 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ideality
My room mates are fostering a cat and if all things work out, they will adopt her. Right now, she's restricted to their room so it can acclimate but when she eventually does start to roam, I'm curious to as to how this cat hair gets everywhere. I sew quite a bit and tend to leave my projects out, should I start invest in lint rollers?

Does long haired-ness or short haired-ness have anything to do with how much hair is shed? (I'm sure Shadow... No, that was her actually name before adoption. How awesome is that..? is a Russian Blue. So, according to wiki, she sheds less...)

In my experience they shed about the same amount for 'normal' long hair or short hair cats. It's just the length of the hair. Now you may find some exceptions to that if it is a totally unusual breed or so. I really don't know on all cats, just the dozen or so I have had over my lifetime of normal take in a stray mixed breed cats.

GratefulGrunger 03-20-2008 07:52 AM

I take a ballon and take off the cat hair with its electric static field.

-Words from a cat fantatic.

xphoenix 03-20-2008 09:20 PM

hehe your poor furnature.

humm well, I suppose I was lucky and my cat happens to be a domestic short hair which is black.. I took into consideration the hair issue when I found him at the shelter. He is adorable but still, sometimes sheds some hair.

The best advice I think is brushing them regularly so you can catch as much hair as you can, before it hits your clothes and furnature.

Ideality 03-21-2008 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApothoKeri
In my experience they shed about the same amount for 'normal' long hair or short hair cats. It's just the length of the hair. Now you may find some exceptions to that if it is a totally unusual breed or so. I really don't know on all cats, just the dozen or so I have had over my lifetime of normal take in a stray mixed breed cats.

Thank you ApothoKeri. Actually, my room mates recently let Shadow out of thier room so that she could start getting used to the rest of the apartment. So lo and behold she strolls over to the sewing table, leaps on top, and starts to nuzzle against one of the vest panels I was sewing buttons on. Aside from the cuteness there was little to no hair transfer on my vest.

raggedyanne 03-21-2008 02:48 PM

When I was younger I had two cats and we solved the hair problems by getting a leather couch and using lint rollers everywhere else.

Solumina 03-21-2008 06:30 PM

When we got kittens way back when we matched them to the furniture so that the hair wouldn't really show on anything

ForgetThisLostLenore 03-21-2008 06:38 PM

I've got two cats, Magic and Sabrina. Magic is an outdoor cat these days, so he doesn't shed as much, but he still sheds tons. He's got typical American Shorthair orange cat fur, and it gets everywhere. Now Sabrina is much fluffier, and silkier. She's got kind of rag-doll type black fur, and she rarely sheds. I don't know if it's the difference in the fur type, or just that she sheds less, but if she does, it doesn't stick to as much, or maybe it's just not as bright as Magic's orange hair.

Tea and Cake or Death 03-21-2008 07:22 PM

Make sure your next kitty is Mr. Bigglesworth.

Crying_Crimson_Tears 03-21-2008 07:52 PM

No outfit is complete without cat hair.

LaBelleDameSansMerci 03-21-2008 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ideality
Thank you ApothoKeri. Actually, my room mates recently let Shadow out of thier room so that she could start getting used to the rest of the apartment. So lo and behold she strolls over to the sewing table, leaps on top, and starts to nuzzle against one of the vest panels I was sewing buttons on. Aside from the cuteness there was little to no hair transfer on my vest.

My cousin had a dark grey cat named Shadow once.

Arashi 03-22-2008 12:02 AM

I have yet to find any type of fabric that won't get covered in animal hair so I suggest..Lint rollers. Seriously, tons and tons of lint rollers. They never get rid of all of the hair but help considerably.

As a side note, trust me, I know your pain.. I'm a loving "fur mother" of a gray & white cat, a black cat, a large brown dog, a small white dog, and a ferret who all, aside from the bichon frise, shed like crazy. And even the bichon frise, who isn't supposed to shed, always has some of his very pure white hair fall out when I brush him.

It's seriously nuts for us, we even got all leather furniture and tore up the carpeting to keep the hair from sticking to everything but now, instead, it all collects and leaves numerous giant hairballs all over the floor. T-T

Ah, well, I love my furbabies so it's well worth it.

ionic_angel 03-22-2008 12:03 AM

I want one of those hairless cats. I think they're called abyssinians.

Dr.Fetusface 03-22-2008 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ionic_angel
I want one of those hairless cats. I think they're called abyssinians.

One of cats is part abby, they have TONS of light hair.
The hairless ones are called sphinxes.