Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Whining (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Elitism; individuality and unpopularity are unrelated. (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=11362)

JCC 07-06-2008 06:42 AM

Elitism; individuality and unpopularity are unrelated.

I'm fucking fed up of people that are unpopular having their little elitist views of how everyone who can actually function socially is somehow inferior to them on the basis that being boring makes you infinitely better. People that can't strike up conversation with people so they just stick to their little circles bitching about people saying how the popular girls are sluts even if they have more sexual integrity than Mother Superior and how everyone who's marginally more popular than them is immediately stupid.

Newsflash: being boring doesn't make you awesome. Being boring makes you boring. If you can't appeal to people socially, it doesn't automatically make you some strange, twisted genius. It means you suck.

JCC 07-07-2008 08:43 AM

No replies. Guess I must have hit some nerves.

gothicusmaximus 07-07-2008 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCC
No replies. Guess I must have hit some nerves.

Resonant posts and unpopularity are unrelated, JCC.

JCC 07-07-2008 08:57 AM

:( Why you gotta get all smart on us, Gothie?

Seriously, just join in the bitching.

Breathless Horror 07-07-2008 09:53 AM

Question: You KNOW you are smarter than someone. You have proof that you are superior to that person on many levels. Does that make you an elitist?

Underwater Ophelia 07-07-2008 10:28 AM

No, and fuck anyone who says otherwise.

Breathless Horror 07-07-2008 10:32 AM

I thought not. Thank you Ophelia :) I hate it when people are called elitists by those inferior to them. And no, I'm not refering to myself XD

Also, I'm going to throw out that I find large amounts of social interaction to be completely over rated. I'v had lots of friends, and I've only had a few. I dare say I was happier when I could count my friends on my fingers, and knew that I would do anything for any of them, and they would do the same.

JCC 07-07-2008 11:19 AM

I can't count friends on my fingers, doesn't mean they're less important.

KontanKarite 07-07-2008 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breathless Horror
Question: You KNOW you are smarter than someone. You have proof that you are superior to that person on many levels. Does that make you an elitist?

An elitist is someone who is exclusive in what they're involved in. They prefer a certain thing more than another, holding it in a higher regard.

Of course this leaves a lot of them being clique-ish. But everyone is like that.

For example, I enjoy goth rock. So why would I want to listen to a metal band just because a listener trying to get me to listen to it because it's "goth" or "dark"?

I was going to say an Elitist is someone who may be superior but doesn't know how to conduct themselves with a little humility or compassion amongst those outside their elitist circle. But then I realized that that's more of an asshole instead of an elitist.

JCC 07-07-2008 12:05 PM

Elitism may have been the wrong phrase to use. They're more arrogant than elitist, and don't have the brains to justify it.

KontanKarite 07-07-2008 12:48 PM

Those who bitch about the popular kids are more mad that they're not a part of the popular kids.

If you seriously didn't give a damn about the popular kids, you wouldn't use them as a subject in your conversations.

Bete Noire 07-07-2008 02:04 PM

I bitch about certain popular kids, but it has nothing to do with their popularity.

JCC 07-07-2008 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KontanKarite
Those who bitch about the popular kids are more mad that they're not a part of the popular kids.

If you seriously didn't give a damn about the popular kids, you wouldn't use them as a subject in your conversations.

Yeah, that's always my take on it, and that's kinda lame. Like, there's some really fucking stupid unpopular people, and if they bitch about me because I'm popular, that's just ridiculous. Although they tend to bitch about other people more because I'm friends with pretty much everyone.

Breathless Horror 07-07-2008 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCC
I can't count friends on my fingers, doesn't mean they're less important.

Very true, and I didn't mean to imply that they couldn't be. For some reason I just haven't been able to forge the same kind of connection with others than with my "family", as I call them. I find my interactions with other people to be always lacking something that I can't quite place.

Onyx Nightshade 07-31-2008 11:23 AM

What makes you popular in one circle can make you an outcast in another and vice versa...maybe those unpopular kids just haven't found people who are of the same mindset as they are, and as a former unpopular kid, I can't say that their views on the popular crowd are unfounded. I find that one's popularity tends to hinge on some of the most superficial criteria possible (especially if you're a girl), and for someone to be popular for any worthwhile reason (like personality or intelligence) is very rare. Possible, but rare.

JCC 07-31-2008 11:25 AM

I'm popular. Am I intrinsically stupid or superficial as a result, or are people that haven't been able to work past their own restrictions just being dicks?

Solumina 07-31-2008 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onyx Nightshade
I find that one's popularity tends to hinge on some of the most superficial criteria possible (especially if you're a girl), and for someone to be popular for any worthwhile reason (like personality or intelligence) is very rare. Possible, but rare.

What it really comes down to is if you aren't fun to be around then you aren't going to be popular, that isn't superficial in the least. Back in high school I was not exactly the hottest chick around but I was smart, quick witted, and friendly so I was friends with about 90% of my classmates, not just I knew who they were and they knew who I was but I was actually friends with them. *shurg* maybe you went to a school with particularly sucky people, or I was lucky and went to school with awesome people.

Unimatrix 00 07-31-2008 12:34 PM

I have suffered elitism in the past. It's rampant in the "cybergoth" community. I don't suffer it anymore though, because I jusr laugh in the face of those who think they're better than me. Nine times out of ten, I look better anyway.

Godslayer Jillian 07-31-2008 01:13 PM

^ Stay around.

MollyMac 07-31-2008 07:37 PM

I'm popular apparently, but not well liked. I think they hang around out of a morbid curiousity- else my life, dull as tombs as it is, is somehow more exciting than theirs.

gothicusmaximus 07-31-2008 07:53 PM

Somehow my uncompromising and vocal desire to be unpopular consistently results in my becoming popular. If I walk into a room full of people and say "I hate all of you," those people will respond "Oh Gothicus Maximus, you're so gothic and cantankerous. Want to come to our picnic?" Flabbergasted I'll answer, "No, I seriously HATE ALL OF YOU," which results in my suddenly becoming embroiled in a sexual relationship with every girl present.

MollyMac 07-31-2008 07:54 PM

Gothicus, dear, you are suffering from the Charismatic Leader end of the "true believer" syndrome. Your only salvation is to kill them all to purify your soul

KontanKarite 07-31-2008 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
Somehow my uncompromising and vocal desire to be unpopular consistently results in my becoming popular. If I walk into a room full of people and say "I hate all of you," those people will respond "Oh Gothicus Maximus, you're so gothic and cantankerous. Want to come to our picnic?" Flabbergasted I'll answer, "No, I seriously HATE ALL OF YOU," which results in my suddenly becoming embroiled in a sexual relationship with every girl present.

I hate it when that happens. Why can't they all just believe me?

gothicusmaximus 07-31-2008 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MollyMac
Gothicus, dear, you are suffering from the Charismatic Leader end of the "true believer" syndrome. Your only salvation is to kill them all to purify your soul

No. Because I'll end up in jail, and if I end up in jail I'll be lord of the criminal underworld within a week of my arrival.

Onyx Nightshade 07-31-2008 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solumina
What it really comes down to is if you aren't fun to be around then you aren't going to be popular

You'd be surprised. The most popular girls in my high school were uber-cunts.

I think it's different with guys, though. The most popular guys in school were the ones who clowned around the most.

Quote:

Back in high school...I was smart, quick witted, and friendly so I was friends with about 90% of my classmates
I was all of those things too but none of that really matters when you don't have much in common with 90% of your classmates. I DID, however, manage to make a lot of friends who didn't go to my school, which hearkens back to what I said in the first sentence of my last post, how the qualities that make you popular aren't universal. So in high school, weekends were a blast for me, but Monday through Friday REALLY sucked.

And JCC, perhaps you're in a much more open-minded environment than I was, where it's qualities that matter that actually make you popular. I still stand by what I said about the unpopular kids though. And you said it yourself, they don't really talk about YOU that much, anyway.