View Single Post
Old 03-21-2006, 10:22 PM   #12
horrorgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathogen.
HORRORGIRL: I grew up in a working-class Black Protestant home. It was for a couple of years in the 1980s [1986-1988] did I live a middle-class lifestyle. As soon as my aunt & uncle palmed me off to my older cousin & lived with him in our first apartment, I was working-class again. I'm still there. And I don't regret it at all. Despite my apparent class, I still became a Goth. in the past 2 decades, the coolest Goths I've ever encountered/known were from the same class-background as me. So the stereotype of Goths [among my Punkrocker friends] being privileged rich or middle-class White kids in black clothes who are sad all the time is straight-up bollocks!
I grew up on welfare so I,in no way, fit the stereotype. Also, I am thirty-five and have not earned a college degree so there is yet another stereotype that I don't fit. I think people are most comfortable around others who have a similar social/economic backround.I have nothing in common,when it comes to life experience,with people who come from totally happy homes and who didn't have to worry about going to bed hungry at night. Sure, I could be friends with them, but I would not be able to make a deep connection with them.

I'm gothtastically delicious!
horrorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote