Thread: Fantasy Fiction
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2006, 10:49 PM   #9
angel011

Cabal is horror, no doubt about it. Barker was pretty annoyed when people labeled him as a horror writer because of his earlier works (Cabal, Books of Blood). Weaveworld is more fantasy with elements of horror, and later Barker's works are difficult to classify as any particular genre (Barker himself called them "fantastique").

"Urban Fantasy" is set in the modern-day world, but non-realistic things happen and/or there are non-realistic creatures (typically they are mythological beings).

When an average person hears the word "fantasy" what they usually think of is "Sword and Sorcery" (elves, dragons, sorcerers etc.), which is just one of many sub-genres of fantasy.

Reign of Fire? It happens in the future of our world, so it, traditionally, should be Sci-Fi. If there was also an attempt (I forgot whether there was or not), no matter how weak and lousy, to try and explain the dragons scientifically, it's definitely Sci-Fi.