Thread: The Rebel Flag
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2006, 02:36 PM   #27
edible_eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by TStone
OK, let’s approach it this way. You have a friend and he invites you to his home. You drive up, get out, walk to the door where he proceeds to take his shoes off before entering. Do you:
A. Fuck it. My feet my world my rules.
B. Slip off your shoes and proceed to the coliseum?
i'd likely slip off my shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone
You are in your car and pick up a co-worker whom you know has bad allergies. You’re dying for a smoke and reach into you pocket, and pause…
A. Ask the friend if he or she minds if you light up?
B. Fuck it. My world, my car, my lungs, your problem.
i'd probably ask if he minded my lighting up, even if he wasn't my friend.

Quote:
Flip that hypothetical and say you are being picked up by the friend.
A. Ask if he or she minds if you light up?
B. Fuck it. My world, his or her car, my lungs, his or her problem.
same.

Quote:
You’ve just lain new sod on your lawn, Kentucky Blue, and in pulls your brother in-law with his 79 POS and parks, not in your drive-way as is normal, but atop your freshly built lawn. Do you:
A. Proceed to jerk him through the window by the jaw, smash his face into the earth, and fuckstomp him a new colostomy bag?
B. Calmly relate your dissatisfaction with his parking choice and explain your reasoning while asking him to park in the drive way.
probably freak out and tell him to move the car.

Quote:
We could continue, but I do think one selfless act need not be reciprocated by selfishness.
i still don't see how one person's or one group's declaration of offense to a relatively ambiguous object or symbol automatically equates to a set-in-stone rule that all others must feel exactly the same way. if someone is offended, fine - be offended. i just don't feel i need to take it on my shoulders as well if i don't feel the same.

Quote:
In my world I strive to put others before me. I eat last, I bathe last, I leave the last soda for someone else. I know we can’t all operate like that because then we’d all be malnourished smelly fucks with a mountain of soda for to worship, but every now and then it helps to take someone else’s feeling into consideration.

No?
surprisingly, i behave in kind. taking someone's feelings into consideration is one thing and i heartily endorse such empathy.

i don't, however, agree with someone demanding i respect their feelings to the point of adopting their cause. to that, i kindly decline with a slap on my butt while pointing to my lips, making kissy noises all-the-while.