Thread: Christianity...
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2006, 11:16 AM   #14
Mr_Knuckles

Nice thread Jillian! It makes me happy to see someone who is open minded about things, and willing to discuss them. =D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkbender423
So we can perform unspeakable acts of evil and cruelity til the day of our death and so long as we become "saved" in our final hours we will have eternal life?
It depends on if the person is actually sincere in their confession. If not, which is most likley, then they won't be saved. There are two requirements to being saved. 1) You believe (have faith) that Jesus can save you of your sin (died and was resurected), and 2) that you confess that before other people (read Romans Ch10 v9-10).

On the otherhand, if the person is actually sincere, and infact gets saved, then this brings other things into account. In Heaven there is different levels of "rewards" according to your "works". Don't confuse this with being saved, as it's separate. "works" won't/ can't get you to Heaven. Anyway, the greater the works the greater the reward, lesser works get lesser rewards. Works without faith is not rewarded. (took me a while to find this: 1 Corinthians Ch3 v13-15 & Rev Ch20 v12-13)

Quote:
That whole "turn the other cheek thing".

Granted, this is a noble thing to do, but after a while, it just seems like stupidity.
This is figurative also. It's meant more along the lines of "revenge is not the answer". Also it's not saying to constantly put yourself in that situation. When the Pharasees tried to take Jesus to kill him, many times He walked away.

Did Jesus "turn the other cheek" when He tore through the temple twice w/ a whip in hand running off the people who where there selling things for profit?

Quote:
I heard from somewhere, looong time ago, when Jesus was being crucified he said God God help me, something like that, it was written on somewhere Was it the holy spirit he was addressing, or . . what??
And so, I know this is moronic, but who was the God before he was crucified?
Mark Ch15 v34- I'm not sure about that, but most people understand it as when Jesus died, he was bearing all sin (past, present, and future), as he was the sacrifice for sin. Being that all this sin was bore on Jesus, God could not look upon Him. This is what I've heard, but not positive about it myself. He was addressing God the Father.

The Christian God, collectivly "Jehova", is comprised of 3 seperate but integral parts: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. Similar to how Humans are comprised of Mind, Body, and Spirit. Even though Jesus (God the Son) was on Earth dying, God (God the Father) was still in Heaven.

Quote:
Even taking into account the early manuscripts, these documents were still written by men and influenced by their translations of the events that transpired during that time. "God" did not come down and write the texts with "his" own hands. I know that the common argument of theologist would be that "God" guided the hands of the men doing the writing. I find it difficult to believe that a person colud sit and write without expressing their own personal beliefs on the subject. Where are the text written by the hand of Christ himself? God moves thrugh the spirit of man, man is subject to his personal and worldly beliefs and influences. I think that these would naturally flow through to the text. Mainly what we get are paraphrased second hand versions of what Christ may have said and these are almost always subject to personal interpretations of the meaning of what was actually said by Christ.
I think what Jillian was getting at was that if we have the old documents, we can test the validity of the new documents. They have, and there were only minor gramattical errors. This doesn't skew the "moral of the story" so to say. The point can be gathered from the old texts just as well as the new texts. Also, if you were a believer of the said texts, read, and copied "anyone who shall take away from these books, also shall their name be taken out of the book of life"...... my opinion is they were very careful.

Here is a question: If someone dies never knowing Christ, or practices some other religion never hearing of Christ, what is their judgement?
Mr_Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote