View Single Post
Old 04-01-2007, 10:18 AM   #116
DarkHeartedDemoness

DIR-

I understand that self-harm hits home for you. It does for me too. A word of advice? Once you're in remission, don't get a cat. The people that love and care about me recently freaked out because they thought I was cutting again... It took many reassurances to convince them that it was just my cat.

That said, I'm really glad you're quitting. It's not a healthy way of expressing your pain. I haven't cut for months... It's difficult, and sometimes I hurt so badly I just want to remember what it feels like to scratch my arm until I bleed, but I know in the long run it's worthwhile.

Cutters are not always attention whores. Cutters do not deserve disdain. They're making unhealthy choices, sure, and it's destructive, but it's also an addiction. They need help. Even the ones doing it for attention need help. If someone is so desperate to be "cool", so desperate for someone to notice them, that they'll hurt themselves, they need help.

DIR, I'm glad you feel comfortable talking about this. It's important that this not be brushed under the table as an emo fad. It's a really difficult thing to go through, and a very difficult thing to overcome.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
DarkHeartedDemoness is offline   Reply With Quote