View Single Post
Old 05-06-2005, 12:50 PM   #23
Asurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgnlvr
I think there are alot of things you and I agree on, but I see you enjoy being provocative! :P
Usually. I don't sit here and think, "Hm, I'm going to go piss people off with my ideas," but it usually just turns out that way.

Quote:
Let me assure you, I'm no "tree-hugger". I see no reason NOT to exploit our natural resources for the betterment of mankind. But, again, we also need to replace what we take, because those resources are not indefinate I also don't buy the crap that PeTA puts out that cow farts are reducing the ozone layer).
Oh, good. I apologize for assuming that you were like that; I'm just tired of arguing with people who look at me like I'm a monster because I use wooden furniture.

And yes, we need to replace what we take, at least to a certain extent. Requiring lumber companies to plant so many seedlings for so many trees cut down seems reasonable.

Quote:
As for the lack of food....well, the US is supposedly the richest nation on Earth, yet we have -HUGE- numbers of people starving to death right here.
True, but this is due more to economic inequality than to the enviornment being unable to sustain our numbers. The total amount of food-stock in circulation in the US is more than enough to feed 300 million people if perfectly distributed, but some people hold more of it than others. (I do NOT advocate wealth redistribution, by the way -- as though anyone here could accuse me of that.)

[quotere: the advancements Isreal have made in cultivation...Keep in mind, the ME (including Isreal) was once a very lush area of the world. Quite fertile. Until the Romans salted the earth.[/quote]

True, but most of the salting was centered around population centers like Jerusalem. Long before the Romans came along, there were vast stretches of desert, including the Negev and Sinai. Israel has, to some extent, claimed some of this barren land as farmland.

Quote:
And philosophy, by it's very nature, -cannot- be black-and-white. :P
I hate modern philosophy for just that reason.

Philosophy is the ultimate science of black-and-white. It is the search for absolute truth that transcends all other petty concerns and circumstances.

And Aristotle is on my side :P. Roughly paraphrased: "A is A, always has been A, and always will be A. If it ceases to be A, then it is not A.

"That which is not A is not A, nor will it ever be. If it ceases to be not A, then it becomes A."

Aristotle was always very black and white: something either is, or it is not. There is no in-between on anything.
Asurai is offline   Reply With Quote