Thread: Rap Music
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2005, 01:16 AM   #3
pitseleh

It really annoys me when people say hip-hop (and electronic music in general) is not "real" music. Just because it's not made with guitars and acoustic instruments (though there are exceptions) doesn't make it any less valid as an artform. Also, the people who diss rap and electronica do so based on the mainstream versions of said genres they have been exposed to, which is usually limited to the lowbrow "bling, guns and hoes" type shit that gets pushed on radio and TV. If they bothered to dig a little deeper, they would find a huge amount of quality stuff on underground labels like Anticon and Def Jux with real poetic and musical value that seldom or never gets airplay.

Just consider the lyrical talent and fresh beats of acts/artists such as Aesop Rock, The Perceptionists, Sage Francis, El-P, cLOUDDEAD, Dose One, Why?, Immortal Technique, MF Doom, Quasimoto, Jean Grae, Murs and countless other underground players. I dare any intelligent person to listen to one or more of these and say it has no artistic merit. You can't, unless you're too dumb to fathom the intricate wordplay of the lyrics (which may take several listens) and the relevance they have in relations to modern life. Very often the lines these people spit are far more incisive, personal, funny and poetical than much of what passes for "rebellious" rock or whatever these rap-haters listen to. I listen to all types of stuff, regardless of genre, as long as it's quality.

My point is, it's no use putting fences around your musical tastes in a misguided attempt to protect some flimsy personal identity construct. You gotta open your mind to the fact that the expression of feelings and opinions you can relate to can come in any musical guise.

It doesn't make any sense to denounce the emotional gravity of someone like Johnny Cash, for instance, just because it falls under the category of country/americana. I understand how the musical framework can be alienating if you're not accustomed to it, but I believe that if you can let your guard down and get into the lyrics and general atmosphere of something, the music will grow on you eventually.

Not to play up to any stereotype, but if all else fails, try rolling a fat joint and put on Aesop Rock's "Daylight" or Buck 65's "463", for instance. See if that doesn't get your braincells going all free-associative...
pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote