Thread: Straight Edge
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2008, 10:15 AM   #106
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwater1110
I have smoked, done various drugs, drank every major kind of alcohol, taken prescriptions, caffeine, chocolate, etc.

Following a 'try it, you might like it' attitude has done me no real harm, except in the case of cigarettes. Given the choice to go back and pick it up again, I would have acted differently. The physical addiction is not so severe that I can't resist it; it the psychological addiction and the mind-games to follow that result in my inevitable return to a useless and harmful habit.

There are a few drugs on my blacklist, but other than that, if offered the opportunity for a new experience, under reasonable and safe circumstances, I'm game.

Some people pride themselves on never changing their chemical makeup, and if that's rewarding for them, then great. Being the curious type myself, I find altering my state of consciousness not only physically pleasant but also intellectually stimulating.

I find that the best way to control appetites, rather than suppressing an already-existent desire through strength of will, is to not allow those desires to gain a lot of forward momentum in the first place.

The downside to diminished desires is an apathetic attitude towards one's life, and a general lack of reasons to do much of anything. Does anyone else ever experience this?
A-fuckin'-men.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote