View Single Post
Old 08-26-2009, 02:15 PM   #44
Beneath the Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delkaetre View Post
BtS - Dunno what sort of homeless people you know, but even some people *with* homes that I know don't have iPhones, laptops and MP3 players.
I'd go so far as to say that the flatscreen TV and iphone owning populace is the minority.
I know all sorts. My point is that in America, even the lowest rungs of society has the means to acquire nicer things, such as the above examples. How can capitalism be so bad if it provides our poor with the means to raise their quality of life in such a way? How can it bad when some of our homeless even have vans and Winnebagos to live in and drive around in?

Like I've said previously, it's only bad when individuals exploit it.

Quote:
And, of course, there's the concept of relative poverty, often ignored by the sort of people who say "well, you have food and a roof so stop bitching".
As I indicated before, I was referring to the United States. I'm well aware that in many other places of the world, "poverty" truly means just that. But since America is often the example used to describe the downfalls of capitalism, America is the example I use to describe the opposite.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote