View Single Post
Old 09-27-2009, 11:26 PM   #21
AsylumVoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Jack View Post
Wait Wow, hang on. Even if this crap were true, you're spouting humongous amounts of shit. You go all ballistic about someone using a dog as bait for a shark. But you've never said a word about maggots being used as bait all over the world.

Now, explain where the difference is...
There is something like this in a book called "I Am A Strange Loop", the author has a couple of chapters on this, how we would swat a mosquito without giving a second thought but eating a dog would be abhorrent to us. Inevitably, people ask but what is the difference? I think this is it.

Maggots have little or no awareness of their existence, I don't think that they have emotions or desires. They're little squirmy things that run purely on instinct. When you go up levels in the conciousness of animals and you've got dogs and cats, when you own them especially, you notice little quirks and differences in what is a very basic personality. You notice when they're upset or happy, they are incredibly aware of pain and react to it. They probably aren't aware that when they look in a mirror it's them or anything like that, they have no concept of selves however they do seem to have emotions and all that. It's not just because they're cute and fluffy, I'd be pretty upset if they were using crocodiles or cows as live bait as well.
I've had little experience of maggots though but unlike my cat I doubt one would jump on my lap and rub it's face on mine. lol!
AsylumVoid is offline   Reply With Quote