View Single Post
Old 10-26-2009, 12:07 PM   #3
Delkaetre

If you can delete a word, what would it be and WHY is the more important thing, I would suggest.

Saying you'd delete "love" and not saying anything else just appears trite- a failed attempt to look lonely, deep or misanthropic.

I'd rather delete a term like ni**er. The word is used viciously, exclusively and almost always to someone's detriment. When used by non-blacks, it is considered offensive and derogatory. When used by black individuals, even in the context of 'taking it back' for empowerment, it is used to the exclusion of others on a racial rather than cultural basis. The word has no positive or even genuinely useful use. It is not elegant, descriptive, functional. When used negatively, it is vicious and harks back to a time that should no longer exist. When used positively, it's still used to set a group apart and deny all others on the basis of birth.

Other words could be removed under the same reasoning- "Paki" is a word that no one except racist scum need.

But I'd never actually advocate removing a word. All words exist. The sign of your personality, intelligent and ethical choice is in how you use them.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote