View Single Post
Old 07-02-2010, 10:23 AM   #78
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Saying "Its only satire!" Doesn't really make sense unless Miller is quite willing to admit that he's more than part of the problem. He's incapable of writing women as anything other that gratuitous, DK2 isn't funny, satire or any sort of social commentary, saying its satire is like slapping paint on a canvas and calling it art.
Many people didn't like The Dark Knight Strikes Again. But having an opinion that it's not satire doesn't mean it's not ... it just means you didn't see satire in it. The same thing applies to the "art" opinion. Not everyone agrees. That's okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despanan View Post
That was pretty entertaining. Not completely accurate, and a bit whiny for my tastes. Criticizing the way Miller emphasizes words in his text balloons? Really? As if that never happens anywhere else. And the commentary about the "News in the Nude" program being ridiculous is wrong, because at the time Miller wrote this "Naked News" from Canada was becoming a sensation on cable TV and on the internet. It was not an excuse to draw naked chicks (we do know Frank knows how to do that) because if he wanted to show naked chicks he wouldn't have covered up every naughty bit with a text balloon. And complaining about when Batman is going to show up ... well, that sounded like someone much younger with no patience and no impulse control. It's true the story takes its time leading to Batman's appearance. Some see that as building to a grand entrance.

I could go on, but as I said, the guy was pretty entertaining and he expresses opinions shared by many. I favor this review for some balance:

Comics in Context #30: Knight After Knight

Finally, to return to the topic of this thread, it turns out it really doesn't matter quite so much what Gail Simone think of the new costume. J. Michael Straczynski is going to be helming the comic now.

Wonder Woman's New Era
New costume, new creators, new direction.
June 29, 2010

I love me some Babylon 5, but I'm quite concerned about what Straczynski says he is going to do the character and the mythos. This quote is telling:

"... for the last few years, the book has been in free-fall despite some really good storytelling from Gail."

And the story he's going to be telling is described in that interview ... and I don't think it's a good idea. Alternate timeline, alternate origin, urbanized setting ... realistic.

Hmph!!!

"Kids, these days. Can't tell the difference between just plain old and classic." - The Flash, from The Dark Night Strikes Again.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote