View Single Post
Old 07-23-2010, 07:40 AM   #13
Ben Lahnger

I'm resurrecting this thread because 1) it's full of amusement but 2) a guy in Milwaukee got arrested for being drunk while operating a motorized shopping cart! But he's not getting a DUI charge ... they've charged him with THEFT!

Teen Arrested In Motorized Shopping Cart Theft
Video Shows Teen Pulled Over By Police

SOURCE (with video)

WAUWATOSA, Wis. --
A Milwaukee teen was stopped by police after officers said he stole a motorized shopping cart.

The dash cam video from a Wauwatosa Police squad shows the officer heading east on State Street, but the officer swings into the west bound lane after spotting a teen going the wrong direction in a motorized shopping scooter. The video also shows Matthew Kawa, 19, eating food and had his legs propped up over his bicycle, which was resting in the front cart.

"This was the first time I was this stupid to do anything like this," Kawa told 12 News. "Probably going to be the last too."

The 19-year-old told police he was having a few drinks at a friend's house Sunday evening. Afterward, Kawa said he went to Applebee's for food.

"And then I noticed I had too many drinks, and I couldn't ride my bike home. So I got in the cart and kind of took that," Kawa said.

Kawa made it a few blocks before police caught up with him.

When officers administered a breath test, Kawa registered a 0.11, police said.

"I actually was kind of really upset," said Kawa. "I had a friend of mine that just passed. So it was kind of like, that was the thought process. I just wanted to have some drinks."

Kawa was arrested on suspicion of theft after explaining he wanted to return the scooter in the morning. Eventually, an employee drove the $2,000 motorized shopping cart away.

"It was stupid. It was funny, but funny doesn't make it OK," Kawa said.

Kawa was not cited for drunken driving or underage drinking, but does have an upcoming court date regarding the arrest.

Ben - I'm cracking up because he thought he was too drunk to drive the bike ... but a motorized shopping cart would be a good idea? LOL!

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote