View Single Post
Old 09-26-2010, 07:54 PM   #50
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Wow. I was disturbed that work obligations delayed my returning to Gnet thinking this thread would be pushed back below The Beer Thread or some such from my delayed post, and find myself once again amazed and impressed by the intellect demonstrated here!

Now I am glad I was delayed, I would have dumbed down the conversation.
Gnet so totally rules.

I will not try to respond to each of the bullet points made in the back and forth, especially since my debating skills are nowhere near the caliber of you folks. But I will explain my reasoning behind following Jesus, because believe it or not, I reasoned my way to Him. I had abandoned blind faith in Christianity when my sister died, and learned then the harsh (but true) reality of life and death. I wiped the "spiritual slate" clean and started exploring life all over again, breaking free of Catholic dogma.

As I watched life and observed patterns of behavior, especially behavior in dealing with personal crisis and challenge, I watched what worked (faith, courage, family support, support of friends) and what didn't (alcohol, drugs, workaholism).

I also observed "karma" or whatever you wish to call it: that what went around came around. The best way to avoid the negative and reap the maximum positive benefit was to love one's neighbors, to serve society. And to forgive minor infractions against myself. The forgiveness and love of fellow man echoed Jesus' philosophy (or commands).

So in the end I came full circle back to Christianity, but this time with verified, empirical results, not blind loyalty. I follow Jesus because it works for me socially and psychologically better than trying to navigate on my own.

Now had I been gifted with the intellect of those I see demonstrated with skill here in the thread, I might have made it on my own, I freely admit it.
But there is a wide distribution of intellect and even common sense in humanity and so for those of us less gifted there are certainly worse people we could choose to follow besides Jesus (and some do! L. Ron Hubbard anyone?)

When faith provides strength and peace during hard times in people's lives, it is a blessing, but when people fall back on it to fill the sense of belonging to something important (Crusades, elections) or to vent frustration and anger it is a curse.

I do not try to live as an example to other Christians, (no one would follow me I am sure!) but I do wish others would see Christianity as I do: a guide to living and not an end all-be all.

So back to the original thread: I hope my diatribe above helps set the context for why I accept the imperfections of my faith. I am not looking for perfection. I am looking for a way to navigate life with a well proven formula that has demonstrated success for others. The payoff is many times worth the imperfections and contradictions. Yes, there are times when it fails to answer important questions ("Why do the innocent die?") but other times it provides great comfort and solace, and great encouragement and joy.

Plus there is the Christmas presents!

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote