View Single Post
Old 01-02-2011, 10:00 AM   #18
KontanKarite

This thread really hurts my feelings to an extent.

Look, guy you've come to the right place but you're not going to get the blessings of those here to go shop at hot topic or to look like a victorian gay Neo from the Matrix.

Honestly, I wouldn't go for the victorian look. It just screams newbie mall goth.

If I were you, I would just enjoy the music for what it is and if there's something within the scene that you want to appropriate, go for it. But jumping in all the way with nothing to ground it, is going to yield some vicious and laughable faux pas.

Then again, I may be the minority in this. I still find it really weird that a goth would rather listen to Type O Negative long before they'd listen to Sisters of Mercy. But I chalk that up with the fact that goths actually like the idea that a dark and morbid outlook on life and lifestyle trumps the music and it's more of an identity than it is just a collection of people who happen to like spooky rock and roll. In short, it seems these days that goths find it more important to look the part than actually enjoying the music.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote