Thread: Bitch, Please
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2011, 10:14 AM   #5
CuckooTuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinjob View Post
I read what Capote had to say about Keroauc, "that's typing"-and am in full agreement with the great Vidal that he is a full-fledged housewife from Kansas with all his prejudices.
But you can't hate the art because the artist has some ridiculous views on pretty much everything... well, you can, but you'd have to strike LOADS of good things off your list.

Personally, I like Kerouac - he wasn't the greatest writer ever to grace the world, by any means. But I think the guy was talented, and despite how fucked up he was, I find his worldview was essentially full of beauty and good intentions. Which, granted, is easy enough to achieve when you're tripping balls all the time... but still. Visions of Cody is just a stunning piece of work. Big Sur is bloody good, On the Road is overrated but still has its moments. In fact, the only book of his I've read that really left me "meh" was Maggie Cassidy.

One of the few novelists on my all-time list who springs to mind as brilliant, talented, engaging, AND morally beautiful, is Kurt Vonnegut. Apart from him, my favourite books collection is peppered with cuntery.
CuckooTuli is offline   Reply With Quote