View Single Post
Old 06-30-2011, 12:50 AM   #54
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
And the only people who could be excited by swinging an ax and chopping someone's head off and using that experience for stimulative purposes are those that are ill.

And the only people who could be excited by rraping a woman against her will and find that stimulating are those that are ill.

Do I need to go on? You see the problem with making allowances for mental illness. It becomes an all or nothing deal.
It is actually very different. I don't want to go into a huge explanation, but the bottom line is if that were true then there would be no insanity defence and there would be no mental institutions, you would just have prisons.

It all comes down to the ability to reason. Most murders have the ability to reason. In your example though, an axe wielding murderer may also be mentally ill, unless he works for say a mob boss and was ordered to use the item in question.

Even common r@pists may be ill and receive treatment, but again, not if they are sociopaths who engage in the behaviour during say a home invasion robbery or something along those lines.

Your example leaves out the finer points of what can be classified as ill. As a rule, most persons who are physically aroused by children are ill. It doesn't take an ill person to kill someone or even **** someone. Soldiers are not all mentally ill and the local high school jock who gets done for date **** is not mentally ill.

It again reminds me of the square/rectangle geometric theorem. A square is always a rectangle, but a rectangle is not always a square.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote