View Single Post
Old 10-20-2011, 09:35 AM   #175
x-deviant-x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Elohim in Genesis 1 is not embodied, but transcendent, omnipotent, all powerful and not anthropomorphic. Marduk didn't create anything, but through his actions things were created much by accident. YHWH is anthropomorphic in Genesis 2, but still have direct intent and doesn't spend a whole lot of describing how he made the world, EXCEPT THAT THE ORDER CHANGES.
I'm guessing you didn't read the full article I linked.

In Sumerian myth, it may have been more accidental, but in Babylonian myth, Marduk created many things (to include the whole of Babylon, as a temple for the gods to rest when they descended from heaven). He created and controlled the storms that he used to defeat Tiamat and her forces; he split her body in two to create the sky and the earth; he created clouds from her saliva and the Tigres and Euphrates from her eyes; he created the mountains from her head. He then created the moon and the sun and gave them to Sin and Shamash, respectively, and reassigned powers to the other gods as he saw fit - Ea/Enki being in charge of the earth (creating life). He bacame ruler of all the gods, later instructing Enki to create the first Man, Adapa, from the blood and bone of Kingu (the rebelous god who accompanied Tiamat in her attack), mixed with clay of the earth. Sometimes this is unclear. Some state Marduk created Adapa himself, others state Enki did so. "His job will be to serve the gods so that they may rest at ease." (In the Myth of Adapa, Adapa is presented a chance to gain immortality by eating the food of the gods, but refuses it.)

Babylonians didn't believe women came from the same source. If they did, they didn't specify it. There's virtually no mention of where they came from as I recall. Inanna, however, is referred to as "Lady of the Rib" as she was created by the gods to heal.

The stories seem to cross back and forth between Sumerian myth and Babylonian myth, so it really depends on which version you're reading as to which god did what, but the Babylonians modified the Sumerian myths in order to make Marduk the champion of all the gods.

Just as a side note, it seems Sumerians and Babylonians both recognized a difference between "savage man" and those whom the gods created, though I'm not sure if this is actually specified anywhere in their mythologies. I just think it's worth investigating, especially with all the questions about "If Adam and Eve were first, where did all the others come from", etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
herp a derp a derp, where is your evidence that she was always considered the wife of adam, from prebiblical times? Your two encyclopedia sources proved you wrong.
Right here, in post #140.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
I believe you are right Saya so I must apologize. I can't find explicit reference of her being Adam's first wife prior to the Alphabet.
And I went on to provide examples of Lilith demonstrated in older myths. The encyclopedia articles I quoted do not contradict me, they prove that Lilith is older than her Hebrew sources, as I was trying to state. My only true error was thinking that the concept of Lilith, as Adam's wife, was older than it actually is. It doesn't mean I wasn't aware of all the previous incarnations of her, I was only off on the timeline. And, as that article states, her name derives from Sumerian, not Hebrew. She has always been related to wind in Sumerian, as her name translates.

It is my understanding that Lilith is, at least in part, a reincarnation of Ninlil, the South Wind, who Adapa defeated in Sumerian/Babylonian myth, and feared he would be punished by Anu for doing so. As I see it, this is another connection to Adam and Lilith, but that's strictly my theory, I can't back it up unless I find some other verifiable source. A possible connection to Lilith being associated with the underworld may be the story of Enlil and Ninlil, who were both cast out of Dilmun (who some believe is the Sumerian version of Eden) and roamed the underworld for a while. But again, its my theory based on the names and events of the myth, I have no proof of it being ligit.
x-deviant-x is offline   Reply With Quote