View Single Post
Old 11-20-2011, 11:33 PM   #103
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Absynthe View Post
But, this is not a case of rioting students throwing chairs through windows. This was an 84 year old person who was pepper-sprayed in the face - seriously. I thought that one of the things that American's were proud about was that people had the right to free speech and the right to protest. If people are no longer allowed to protest against perceived injustice then what other recourse do they have?
It's not an isolated incident. Students at UC Berkley were also administered pepper spray during protests, and there was a big deal made about it being "exceptionally violent." My irritation stems from that people are using these to paint police as some kind of tool that the man uses to keep us down (And I say "us" very cautiously).

It's not that complicated. Police are everyday people who have an everyday job to do. If their job is to disperse a crowd because they are violating the law, they shouldn't be marked as being brutal because they used something as benign as pepper spray when people refused to comply.

Rodney King is what police brutality looks like. Let's not confuse the two.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote