Thread: Picture Post 2
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2011, 02:21 PM   #6848
honeythorn

As far as I'm concerned, it's FAR worse not to use up vintage fur . That's it's life was misery, and it's life was taken for the beauty of it's skin is bad enough, but for dipshit Peta activists and vegans to chuck things like that into landfill or moulder in a cupboard is so utterly fucking disrespectful to the lifethat was taken.

Considering some vintage furs you can find are nearly 100 years old and still have plenty of use in them, There is no reason not to use them. Modern western disapproval of real fur hasn't stopped the trade one bit. China is murdering merrily away and still produces 80% of the worlds real fur.

But I can make the choice not to buy into that fresh trade. Fake fur has glamourised the wearing of any fur more than anyone wearing vintage has ever done, it's far more un-envirnmentally friendly ( 3 gallons of oil a coat anyone? ) and doesn't keep cold and wind out nearly as well.

So really buying vintage is no different than buying fake. Either way you're not buying fresh, and I apprecate and honour the animals that died. I pity them and accept their lives were horrible. I can't save them, they're decades dead. The best I can do is make sure those lives aren't a total waste.

I recently bought two pieces of scrap rabbit fur, they're the sleeves of an old 60's/70's fur coat. Brown and white diamond pattern. I'm going to make a huge blanket out of vintage scrap fur for winter. I have a box full of old collars but all of them are re-useable for their purpose s I'm keeping my beadies out for other vintage scrap.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote