View Single Post
Old 07-07-2012, 10:58 AM   #50
Apathy's_Child

DISSOLVY VISUALS AS SHOT PANS OVER A CHAPEL AT THE EDGE OF A HOT, DUSTY VILLAGE IN MEXICO. DESERT CAN BE SEEN BEHIND THE SMALL STRUCTURE, THE ROOF OF WHICH IS ADORNED WITH A LARGE STONE CROSS.

CUT TO VERSUS, KNEELING SOME 100 FEET AWAY BEHIND A HORSES’ TROUGH WHERE THE VILLAGE PROPER BEGINS. HE HAS A SHOTGUN TRAINED ON THE CHAPEL’S ENTRANCE, AND IS WATCHING IT INTENTLY.

FEMALE VOICE: It’s about to happen, isn’t it?

SHOT MOVES OUT TO REVEAL SAYA STANDING BEHIND HIM.

VERSUS: [without looking up or turning] It always happens. Every single night.

SAYA: What if I told you it doesn’t have to?

VERSUS: I’d say you were full of it. Ain’t no escape from the shit that’s burned into your brain.

SAYA: I could take it away. If you wanted me to.

VERSUS: [finally looking over his shoulder, surprised] What – like erase the memory? The fuck is this – I walk into some sci-fi dream by mistake?

SAYA: [smirks] Dude, believe me – it is SO much worse than that. [pause] So – you want me to do it, or not?

VERSUS: Nah. [looks back at the chapel wistfully, as though wishing it could be otherwise] What happened here is a part of me.

SAYA: That’s true. [shrugs serenely] But on the flipside, you’d be able to sleep.

VERSUS: [shrugs ruefully] I’m sleeping now. Aren’t I.

SAYA: [shrugs back] Sure thing. Your call. [takes a step closer as he watches with mistrust] You need to stay sharp, though. There’s a war coming.

VERSUS: [smirks bitterly] Always. [looks back at the stone cross on the church, which is now burning like it's been going for hours, black smoke rising into the bleached and arid sky – finally turns away and climbs to his feet, giving Saya his full attention] So, just what the hell might YOU be, anyways?

SAYA: Your dream.

VERSUS: [shakes head as he circles her warily] Nah. I know the sound of my own mind talking to me. Damn well ought to by now... ain’t like the motherfucker ever shuts up. No - you’re something else. Aren’t you.

SAYA: [finally smiles at him] And you’re good. That’s why I’m here. You’re the only one who can do it.

VERSUS: [suspiciously] Oh yeah? Do what?

SAYA: Kill him.

VERSUS: Uh-huh. And by “him”, you mean…?

SAYA: [holding his gaze meaningfully] You know who I mean.

VERSUS: [now annoyed] You think I haven’t tried? The fuck do you think I’ve been doing for the past two YEARS?

SAYA: [watching him peacefully] Hiding from what happened here. Trying to make the memories go away. Basically, running up and down the country with your dick in one hand and a shotgun in the other.

VERSUS: [now angry] You don’t know SHIT.

SAYA: Sure I do. I know YOU. We’ve watched you all your life. [tilts head on one side as she watches him consideringly] You were born in a war. [flashback shot of a pregnant woman and a man, both clutching beer bottles and screaming at one another in a darkened trailer with shades drawn against the sun] Not all wars are as big as this one’s about to get, but… some of them are big enough. [flashback – baby V watches from a cupboard as the man shoots the woman, then, horrified, turns gun on himself] You never really had much of a chance… war after war, fight after fight... [flashback sequence through schoolyard fights featuring gradually aging baby V, until we see him as a teenager in army colors, shouldering a rifle] And you KNEW there was something very, very wrong with the world. You just couldn’t put a name on it. Not because you were dumb - you just couldn’t quite find the right words… words can be harder to find than ammo in times of battle. [looks at him gravely] I offer you only more war. Which is kind of ironic since I’m a bleeding-heart pacifist who practically weeps every time she treads on a bug, but whatevs – plot’s gotta come from somewhere. Sooo…

VERSUS: [laughs bitterly, dragging a hand down his face] Aaaaaand THERE it is. Every asshole wants the same goddamn thing from me. [fixes her with his most ferocious scowl] Well you know what? Fuck you, fuck your Kony shit, and FUCK your fucking war. I am DONE fighting other people’s. I’m fuckin’ busy with my own.

SAYA: [trying not to smirk, as though finding the scowl cute] I know. Look, chill, okay? I came to HELP, not try and command.

VERSUS: Yeah… thing is, every time someone says that, I seem to find myself down a couple of people I care about.

SAYA: [shrugging] Believe me - I'm not like anyone you ever fought with before. I’m just an ally – a non-silencing, non-co-opting, non-KONY ally. You want me gone, I’m gone. You want BACK-UP, though – I’m your Watson. [winks at him] Think about it.

VERSUS JOLTS AWAKE IN BED. SITS UP, THEN SETTLES BACK AS HE REALIZES WHERE HE IS, BROW FURROWING THOUGHTFULLY.

VERSUS: [speaking into the dark silence of the bedroom] I hate it when they send the HOT ones to recruit.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote