View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 10:10 PM   #18
Saya

Yeah, I read that post this morning and I had to wait until tonight to come back and say I'm so sorry you went through that. I'm not Christian but as a religious feminist I can relate to the frustration of dealing with misogyny in religion.

I do Religious Studies in school though, and learning historic criticism has really made me appreciate some things I used to think were unforgivable, like the Old Testament. When you realize its a religious historical record compiled by several people who had very different views, it makes more sense. Its also super super super tricky reading it in English. The Bible is written as a literary work of art and a law book and a religious book and as a history book so it can be really hard translating and understanding properly. For example the Hebrew text doesn't use the word "rrape", it uses "forces" in the context of the betrothed woman crying out. Is crying out really a standard for ****? Suppose she was bludgeoned across the head? What about Dinah or Tamar, who didn't cry out, but were avenged by their male relatives righteously? Is that scenario where the betrothed woman cries out an example but not the only scenario? Are they just being somewhat poetic and not literal?

This is why I think Jews and Muslims have it right in valuing so much learning the original language of their respective texts. It saves a ton of trouble, the English Bible mistranslates in the very first sentence.

There's a lot of great feminist Christian writers who critique sexism and find empowerment in faith, but in regards to the Old Testament I totally recommend Judith Plaskow, of course she's Jewish so she also tackles the Talmund and Jewish tradition, but she gives plenty of attention to the Hebrew Bible.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote