View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 11:13 AM   #216
Despanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
I did say those things.

Are you objecting to the idea that the Civil Rights movement accomplished anything? Are things better, worse, or exactly the same?

Do you disagree that there are protections against racism? In your opinion they have no positive affect whatsoever?
He's not saying that the Civil right's movement didn't accomplish anything. It did. It pushed the worst cases of obvious racism (segregation, lynching, etc.) out of the realms of public acceptability, (and in the case of segregation, legality).

However, that didn't solve the problem, it just made the racism inherent in the system harder to see, rather than eliminating it...Which in some cases is almost worse.

Take for instance Stop-and-frisk. By law it's supposed to be colorblind, but the cops only stop black and latino men. I can walk down the street carrying a fake gun (which is illegal btw) for a play I'm doing and I don't even get a second glance. A black kid can get stopped and abused over and over again just for glancing behind him.

The racism's no longer on paper, but it's still there and it's still horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote