View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 07:17 PM   #24
Saya

Is banning a person from a forum a form of speech oppression? Nooooo. Neo-Nazis get banned all the time from Gnet. We only argue with them for a bit before the admin realizes they're here. And just to add a bit of a note on what gets censored, I'm pretty sure the reasoning for censoring many words isn't because the admin thinks they're bad, just that they don't want Gnet to turn up on a search using those words (like it used to be if you spelled out Ku Klux Klan it would change to Mickey Mouse Club. You still can't say EPS's first name, weirdly.)

Forums aren't exactly public spaces, a lot of spaces aren't. Like if someone came to the women's resource centre and started shouting misogynist things, we could totally call security on them. A lot of collectives and groups try to stress the idea of "safe spaces", although truth be told a space is only as safe and whoever is invited and it doesn't get respected, but the ideal is that we can ask anyone who isn't being respectful to leave.

I don't think there should be a law that no one can utter anything misogynistic ever. But I do reserve the right to create spaces for myself and others and defend those spaces, and try to make the public a safe place for us and everyone else who suffers oppression.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote