Thread: Grr. Argh. Etc.
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2013, 01:27 AM   #33
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creed of Heresy View Post
Do tell me; when did I say being white "isn't that much of a thing?"
You didn't say that. You didn't say much about it, which is the point.

Quote:
When did I say I don't benefit much from being straight just because I support LGBTs?
When you used the discrimination of the LGBT community to down-play your privilege. Your privilege is not muddied. You are not Jesus. You do not take the pain of being gay into yourself by supporting LGBT rights.

Quote:
... and when DID I say "look, woman, at least you're not an atheist"
Every time that you say being an atheist is more difficult than being female, or down-played women's oppression. You did it a few times in this thread and I don't really care to count and quote.

Quote:
Maybe not every person to call in is a woman! Maybe they're children! Or teenagers! Maybe it's adults...and maybe all of those age groups tend to also be of all genderal groups, too! Unthinkable, isn't it?
I'm tracking that anybody can become the victim of sexual assault. I'm tracking that men make it more difficult for other men to get help. That doesn't change the fact that men as a whole do not live under the daily threat. Every time somebody says "but men can be the victims of ****, too!" in response to "women have to live with sexual assault" counts as down-playing women's oppression, by the way.

Quote:
I even caught myself on this one and genuinely expressed that I wish I could edit what I said out of my original post because I realize how and why it was wrong. But your response is to desperately latch on to whatever thing I say and to blow every bit of it wildly out of proportion and context,
So what you did was wrong, but not that wrong? Am I understanding that correctly?

Quote:
and to say "I don't think I would want to [accept your apology]." Speaks volumes about who you are.
No it fucking doesn't. I didn't even say that to you. Anybody on this forum knows what I said was "I don't think I even want to [deal with this right now.]"

Quote:
Rather than being able to be the bigger man and accept the apology, remain calm, and continue to point out the fallacies in what I am saying or ask for clarification if something seems contradictory, you instead let your own emotions take total control over you and resort to ad hominems and false attributions.
My anger, however unpleasant it is for you to deal with, has nothing to do with the validity of my argument. My anger is an appropriate reaction and it's not for you to determine when I'm allowed to express it. I don't owe you a calm conversation and you sure as fuck aren't entitled to your apology being accepted at face value. You're the one that did something wrong, not me. This is your privilege and entitlement showing, so don't fucking tell me how to respond to this.

Quote:
Eh, I haven't really seen any benefits from those privileges, but then I've never really been in a position where I could.

Or maybe I have, and I just don't realize it. Certainly a possibility.
This is why Solumina said that you need to be aware of your privilege, and as much of what that entails as you can. It keeps you from shitting on people without your advantages, like you just did to Murder of Crows. She could tell you why better then I can, but again, it's her decision to decide how to deal with what you said. She could snap your head off, she could level with you, she could decide it's not worth her time or sanity to educate or yell at you and just ignore it. All are valid responses.

Everything else aside, one of my frustrations is that I don't immediately know how to deal with people like you. Part of me wants to help you understand, part of me is convinced that you're not worth how fucking hard it is. I'll just say that I'm volatile and feel like the others have a better chance of reaching you (again, whether they try is their decision) so I'll be away from this thread until I make my own determination.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote