View Single Post
Old 08-03-2012, 03:53 AM   #152
CuckooTuli

Thing is, I don't hate it because I disagree with the thesis. The politically problematic elements I identified are something I'm perfectly able to separate from my belief that the story was full of plotholes and the dialogue poorly written (in fact downright terrible in places). In fact, if I didn't think it was so badly written and structured, I'd be perfectly capable of liking it despite its ideological contradictions. Shit, half the authors I'd rate as favourites were rampant misogynists; if my enjoyment of art depended on my agreeing with its ideology, I'd never read or watch anything besides leftist polemics.

You guys keep accusing me of hating it because I don't like its politics, which just isn't true. I like plenty of movies whose thesis I disagree with (even if I'd still pull them apart for the things I don't like about them, 'cause I enjoy deconstructing art whether I love it or hate it). I thought this one sucked as a piece of art, as well as thinking its politics are confused. The two views aren't mutually dependant. Ironically, in the blog post Despanan is basing his response on, I identified SIX reasons I hated it, and only one of those had anything to do with its politics. (Well, 2 if you count the problems I had with the way Catwoman was presented, but you get the point.)
"Friends are allowed to make mistakes. The enemy is not allowed to make mistakes because his whole existence is a mistake, and we suffer from it. But the women's liberation front and gay liberation front are our friends, they are our potential allies, and we need as many allies as possible.” - Huey Newton
CuckooTuli is offline   Reply With Quote