View Single Post
Old 10-25-2003, 12:05 AM   #3
Drizzt

Goth·ic
adj.
often gothic Of or relating to a style of fiction that emphasizes the grotesque, mysterious, and desolate.

gothic Barbarous; crude.

n.
A novel in a style emphasizing the grotesque, mysterious, and desolate.

Well, I'll start by defending myself because, as I am a new member and have not seen *all* the forums, I don't know how many topics are designed around the definition of Goth. Secondly, it appears as though there is a definition found from dictionary.com relating to the term "gothic" in the context we appear to be using it. Whether everyone agrees with this definition is what is ambiguous and relative. And thirdly, you made a couple of claims about me I'm not quite sure I understand what you meant. I'm not overly concerned by the question, but it does interest me. I'm rather certain I'm not a goth, and I may never be, however I am intregued by the idea of it. That is why I have created this post, in search of finding information. What better method of research is there than to ask people who are actually around it ?

Now as to your post.. it seems as though you only have one point: This topic is not worth the time spent on reading it, let alone anything else. I can understand that, and it makes perfect sense, however everything else you said relates to absolutely nothing. Yeah, I can call myself a vegetarian and then go and eat meat, but use pert plus, obviously then I'm not a vegetarian regardless of my use of pert plus. That statement is so insanely obvious it boggles the mind as to why anyone would ever attempt to use it as proof of anything at all. I suppose you're attempting to make the point that I could call myself a goth, go around in sickeningly bright clothing, and have an Edgar Allen Poe bumper sticker on the rear of my car, but that probably doesn't make me a Goth. The only problem with that is it doesn't eliminate you from it either, at least not in my opinion. The definition of vegetarian is rather definite, and if you wanna be more precise there are other adjectives available including vegan, and whatever else. Gothic however seems to come down to a persons own perspectives, and so a blantantly obvious statement such as your vegetarian theory does not exist, at least not to the same degree.

Anyway, I'm still looking for other peoples opinions, if you've already posted somewhere else or simply don't care to answer this post by all means forget it, I'm simply here for informations sake. Thanks.
Drizzt is offline   Reply With Quote