View Single Post
Old 11-04-2011, 08:20 PM   #39
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despanan View Post
Hey look, Alan said the same thing I said, just in a more elementary manner. Good for you Alan!
You attacked even the study itself just because you didn't like how Sternn would interpret it.
It's NOT the same thing at all.

Quote:
Uhhh, yeah. Duh. It was a struggle, but...they won. That's kind of the point. Unless you're saying they didn't win and we've just got legislation FORCING the majority of Americans who are racists to not be racist. Which you might have a case for, but the fact is, it is socially unacceptable to be outwardly racist in America today. Even conservatives are aware of that, which is why they work so hard to conceal it.
You said that Americans consciously chose to move past racism and segregation.
Bullshit. It was never a "you know what, discrimination is so last tuesday."
People had to fight for decades and still have to fight against the remnants of both social and institutional discrimination.
"They won." Doesn't mean America did a conscious decision of being more progressive. That progress was fought for; not decided upon.

Quote:
I'm sorry. I thought the "Dark Ages" or the "Age of Faith" or the plague ridden years of the healing prayer and sucked.

Please enlighten me, why should I not be referring to medieval times, the height of the Church's power, in a derogatory manner, everything that I've ever read about it, besides fantasy novels, indicates that it fucking sucked.
The name the "Dark Ages" was a chauvinistic term imposed in the 18th century to a period in history devoid of Hellenic influence, as if the value of mankind ended with Rome and was only restored with the Renaissance's obsession with it.
Afterwards they tried to keep the name "Dark Ages" to denote how little we actually know about the time period but even that is obsolete with new knowledge.

No one since the 19th century takes the name "Dark Ages" seriously as an index that "it fucking sucked", except, you know, people who don't know much about the middle ages, which started 600 years before the height of the Church and 300 after the last crusade.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote