Thread: Supernatural
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2010, 07:17 PM   #5
Despanan

What I both like, and what bugs me about the show, is that it's almost exactly the kind of show I would want to write (Minus some of the angst and the WC-ness of it).

The creator/head writer mentioned that it was heavily inspired by Neil Gaiman's American Gods, as well as The Sandman, and the Hellblazer comics (which is why Castiel dresses like John Constantine), and those are some of my favorite bits of fiction. You can really see their influence on the show when it's at it's best. (The most recent episode involved a Motel filled with the old Pagan Gods - It wasn't American Gods: The Miniseries but it came close to what I imagine the feel of that might be. I also love that the show doesn't take itself too seriously, the bits where Sam and Dean meet a real live Supernatural fangirl/Discover that people on the internet are writing slash fiction about them are downright inspired and hilarious.

I will admit that from time to time, the characters can get (more than) a little whiny, particularly Sam. I chalk this up to the CW's "lets get the grown-up Dawson's Creek crowd" influence, and the sheer level of fanservice is staggering. I am also annoyed by the child invincibility and how the non-monster (human) villains always wind up having a karmic death.

All in all , I would vastly prefer it if this series had been produced by HBO, and thus was not so aimed for the 20-something ex-teenybopper "Let's get home from our midwestern, white collar jobs and watch something that doesn't challenge our perceptions of the world and ties up all loose ends" crowd, but despite this I feel like it's one of the better things on TV today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote