Thread: Supernatural
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2010, 09:02 AM   #19
Despanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus View Post
I just find it hackneyed, shallow, and seeped in the CW's unique brand of network cheese. It's entertainment without real nuance, and thus rather dull in spite of its convoluted, increasingly silly mythology. Shows like Breaking Bad and Mad Men make this shit seem downright archaic, especially since they're on basic cable-- if I'm clearing an hour to tune in each week, it'll be to a show that won't air an episode called "A Very _______ Christmas" or feature a guest appearance by Paris Hilton.
How much of it have you actually watched? The CW definitely tries to promote it like their usual network cheese (insisting upon catch-ups to every episode, and playing up the fanservice and down on the actual mythology) and I admit, they can be a little heavy handed with their themes from time to time, but how can you call it un-nuanced? There's an episode where a blind faith healer is saving the terminally ill by killing gay rights activists and it turned out that the healer himself, was just a charlatan, and was tricked by his wife into thinking he actually had power.

There's another episode reminiscent of Groundhog's day, except every day Dean dies in a different horrible way. There's even a musical montage of deaths.

There's another featuring aging magicians, performing impossible death-defying tricks with the aid of real magic. It deals with themes of deep friendship, aging, immortality, and in the end the magician who did the right thing is left a broken old man with no family or friends.

Similarly in the most recent episode, when Loki Archangel Gabriel confronts Lucifer, not only is there a friggin awesome monologue out of Loki but when Lucifer kills him, you first see a hardened villain doing what villains do, and then a second later the guy ever so slightly crumbles for an instant, and then swallows the pain of killing his brother and moves on. It's a brilliant, subtle performance which blurs the line between good and evil and extends the shows main theme of family. Certainly better than anything to be found on The Vampire Diaries, Gossip Girl, or 90210.

As to "A Very Supernatural Christmas" all the episodes have names like that. There's also one called "It's the Great Pumpkin Sam Winchester" and once again, that ties back into how the show, despite it's heavy themes and subject matter, refrains from taking itself too seriously. Also: that episode was awesome. It featured two pagan gods living in suburbia who took human sacrifices in trade for mild winters.

I have nothing to say about the Paris Hilton episode, as I have not seen it. From what I understand she plays a wax figure of herself which comes to life. I'll have to watch it, As I rule I hate her and everything she does, and she's a terrible actress, but who knows, maybe they managed to use her in a way which makes it work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote