View Single Post
Old 06-26-2008, 09:45 AM   #8
Toy Killer

I agree with it, to an extent.

Capital punishment, in my opinion, is more of a fear inducer rather then justice. If they can scare people away from commiting crime, then they can reduce the crimes punishible by death by that slim margin. That's one less person who could've been killed in Third Degree murder, and one less person who would be sitting in the chair, walking the green mile.

Now, while I believe psychological imposition is better used in law and justice, as opposed to trying to smuggle money out of us in marketing for instance. However, I don't think it's nearly as effective, becuase many of the crimes people commit, they know the consequences (vaugely or otherwise), but they are trying to think optomistically. People have this weird little tendancy to blot out what they don't want to accept as true and embelish what they do want to believe as true.

I think that removing the death sentence completely is bad, however, just simply, slowly phasing it out of practice. That way it can't be announced, and publicized and create a backdraft of crime. On top of that they could keep it in reserve for the truely dangerous.

Granted, everyone deserves a second chance is a noble stance, but I don't think it's very realistic. Suppose a crime lord finally gets put behind bars, would you recommend he gets oppurtunties to leave, continue on his practices and learn from his faulter, passing it on to further generations of mobs?

I think the second chance ideal is just far too forgiving but that's just me.
Toy Killer is offline   Reply With Quote