Thread: Picture Post 2
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 10:02 AM   #7339
honeythorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
That's not fair, it IS a costly business
That depends on what you are making. The stuff I make costs me almost nothing because I find most of it for free. If you choose to make something that costs a lot to produce that's your problem.

Quote:
the time cost
I am curious as to how you work out what you should be paid per hour. You make scarves yes? How did you work out how much a scarf maker ( as in not one who works in a sweatshop ) makes in order to pay yourself an average wage for that?

Quote:
If a scarf costs me fifteen dollars to make, can I afford to make ten of them for an etsy shop, and go without until I find a buyer? Especially with things that very few people would want, how many of that tiny market is willing to pay enough that you can make a profit?
Hold on... you're saying you ( or others ) make a product or items that appeal to a tiny market that very few people want.. and you're complaining that people may not be willing to buy something you chose to pay a lot to make? I don't really understand this.

Quote:
Its like a photographer friend of mine who gets annoyed when people hire friends to do their weddings for cheap, you're stealing jobs away from professionals who do it to eat and live.
And those people may not be able to afford the usually high costs of a professional. Those people could have worked their arses off to scrape together money for a wedding (remarkbaly not everyone asks or expects their parents to pay ) . If they can't afford your friends services then tough shit they can't afford it and that's that. If they have a friend who can take pictures, whose quality they are happy enough with to use them as wedding memories, then fair play to them . It's a shame your mate doesn't get the job but that's life .

I have seen a handmade sweater in a display window in town. It's made of soft wool in beautiful earthy tones, all multicoloured , very hippy-ish. But it's price is £100. I do appreciate it must have taken a long time to make , but all the same I absolutely refuse to spend that much money on a sweater. I have more important things to spend that kind of money on. Like rent, food and trying to accumulate savings.

I don't know about the US or Canade but the UK is still somewhat in recession, and people including myself simply don't have that kind of money to spend on a single sweater. It's a shame for the person who spent such time and effort making it, but they chose to make an expensive sweater, and thus can't really complain that no one has bought it. or that they haven't sold loads of them.

Likewise I saw an amazing horned head-dress on Etsy, it's about £300 ish. Real furs and real red deer antlers. But sorry, I refuse to pay that much because again I have better things to spend the money on, and I know full well I could ( and have ) made something of the same nature ( though smaller as you see below ) for almost nothing. I have no idea where the poor woman sourced her "materials" but she got a shitty deal there if it cost her so much she has to charge so high a price.

A head-dress like that is not that difficult to make even if screwed on properly . Mine took me about an hour.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote